Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Need Help: Any help on the uniform??

Article about: Great grandfather with last name "Belgrad". Of course anglicized when hit stateside. We do not know what was original. Not much is known about him or where from. It appears as if t

Staxman
    ?

Default Need Help: Any help on the uniform??

Great grandfather with last name "Belgrad". Of course anglicized when hit stateside. We do not know what was original. Not much is known about him or where from.

It appears as if the visor and the "cockade" on visor is of Russian origins. Does not appear to be Serbia/Yugo/Croatian at all. But I am not finding much luck on the double breasted uniform. Most i have seen look all to be single breasted in Russian Army....

Anyways, any pointers would be helpful!

TIA
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JacobBelgrad-Mil.jpg 
Views:	2396 
Size:	245.6 KB 
ID:	95887  

?

Default Re: Need Help: Any help on the uniform??

Hi,
    The style of the uniform is 1907 patten dress uniform for a private in the Imperial Russian Army. The shoulder boards have the regimental number 15 which could make it the:

15th Schusselburg Infantry Regiment of the General Field Marshal Prince Anikta Repnin

This is my best guess based on the picture and going through my books.

Regards

IainM

?

Before 1909 numbers on shoulder-boards of the line infantry were meaning number of the Infantry division, not the regiment.

?

Thank you for the correction, my Russian is very rusty and most of the books are in Russian.

Regards.

?

No problem. I doubt that you'll find this info in books, maybe except Zvegintsov.
    And I doubt that this is a private. Rather it's a junior officer in a long tunic (syurtuk) in 1904-1908. EM didn't have metall regimental numbers on their boards, and normally their boards were sewn directly into shoulder seams. I just wonder what is the reason why he wear soldiers' capbedge on his visor-hat.