Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Please help identify G.G.Grandfather uniform details (rank, type of the uniform)

Article about: Hi, i came across this forum while doing research on my family, specifically my G.G.Grandfather. Forum looks very informative and i hope there is someone who could assist with my question. T

Default Please help identify G.G.Grandfather uniform details (rank, type of the uniform)

Hi, i came across this forum while doing research on my family, specifically my G.G.Grandfather.
    Forum looks very informative and i hope there is someone who could assist with my question.

The picture below was taken sometime after 1906, as i know he got the St.Anne cross 2nd cl. that year (on his neck). I was hoping to find some additional information about the uniform he is wearing (type of the shoulder pads, neck collar, etc).

Any help will be much appreciated.

andrey
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Please help identify G.G.Grandfather uniform details (rank, type of the uniform)  

?

At the epaulet on the right of your grandfather, order of St. Stanislaus in the rosette, neck order of St. Anne, on the order of St. Vladimir's breast (cross), but the two medals I'm not sure at the moment so I will not speculate, moreover, under the Order of St. Stanislaus is still the badge I do not recognize because it is vague.
    Cheers

Grosz, thank you for your reply. Yes that is correct, on the neck is St.Anne 2nd class, St. Stanislaus 2nd class and St. Vladimir 4th class (35 years of service). The two medals are - commemorative medal of the Reign of Tzar Alexander III and the other one is medal for the first general census of the population 1897.
    What i had trouble with was the epaulet type, as well as the one large star on the epaulet (why 1 when the generals had at least 2?). Also the strip accross his chest, is he holding a sword or a saber on it?
    As for the badge under St. Stanislaus order, i am not sure either.... thus would welcome any suggestions.

cheers

?

Hello, I searched a bit and I have something like it may explain something. In my epaulettes indicate the rank of general medical services, but I could be wrong, I try to guess what the badge of the Order is below. I put the link in the Russian language, if you have problems with the translation, but I will try to translate later. pay attention to
    4.Эполеты военно-медицинского образца.
    and link:
    apolety-01.php
    Cheers

Excellent source, thank you. This answers some questions for sure. He was in medicine, in a rank of Actual State Councilor. Still doesnt make sense why only 1 star on the epaulet? Wonder if they/medical generals were entittled to have a sword/saber. I've been trying to identify the badge but only have a guess- its a Graduation badge from the Imperial Medical- Surgery Academy in St Petersburg. (he finished that school in 1879). However, when i compare the picture of the badge to this photo it does not tie out..... maybe you can come up with a better explanation.
    Thankx for your interest to help, grosz.

cheers

With one star on his epaulet your G. G.Grandfather appears to be in a rank of a State Councelor which was a fifth highest civilian rank with the Russian government hierarchy. Refering to the army ranks it was somewhat between the colonel and general-major. They were entitled to have a saber.
    Once you know his full name you may try to search for some info online.

Thankx Mehti. Do you know if it would've just a regular officer saber? or a small/short one?
    Actually got his service record, he was promoted to the Actual State Councelor at the time of retirement. (i think right after this picture was taken but now makes sence why only 1 star here). Do you have any guess on the badge on his right side, below St. Stanislaus order?

One hundred anniversary of the Imperial Medical Academy commemorative badge issued in 1898
    ....I would guess

Антикварные галереи - Кабинет. Аукционный дом.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Please help identify G.G.Grandfather uniform details (rank, type of the uniform)  

With regard to the sabre - this is an image of the Actual State Councelor with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images Please help identify G.G.Grandfather uniform details (rank, type of the uniform) 

Great, i can see that being the 100th anniversary badge.
    Thankx for all your help, Mehti!