Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Russian uniform,Caucasus January 1917

Article about: Hi everybody, This is a picture of my Great-Grandfather Anton Mouratov.There is a script in the back of the photo.I don't speak russian so i had it translated.I was told that more or less it

Default Russian uniform,Caucasus January 1917

Hi everybody,
    This is a picture of my Great-Grandfather Anton Mouratov.There is a script in the back of the photo.I don't speak russian so i had it translated.I was told that more or less it was a souvenir from Caucasus in January,15,1917.So,i guess he served the Russo-Turkish War 1914-1918.
    The photo is quite well-worn and i can not identify if there are any stripes on the shoulder boards.But i can tell i can see the number 04 i guess its refering to his regiment.
    So, i would be most greatful if anyone can give me any information about his uniform,his rank,if he was in the imperial or white army.Those medals mean he was an officer?Also i hope for a better translation of the script.
    And my utmost dream.Is there any way i can see his name written down in some archives.For example,for those who served in Caucasus.Is there any department that keeps such files?

Thank you very much.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Russian  uniform,Caucasus January 1917   Russian  uniform,Caucasus January 1917  

Default Re: Russian uniform,Caucasus January 1917

ok,the first scans were not very clear so i came back with better.
    With a closer look at the shoulder board that 04 i thought,could easily be a 114.If it is 114,after a small research i made, it seems that the only unit of the Russian Emperial Army with that number was the 20th Army Corps,29th Infantry Division,1st Brigade,114th Infantry Regiment under the General Vyazemsky.Could that make sense to you?Can anybody confirm that?
    Also,instead of stripes someone can assume that there is an insignia close to the one of a modern Air Commodore of the British Royal Air Force.In the Greek Air Force i serve(we have the same rank with British)we call that insignia a plate.Could such an insignia existed in the Russian Emperial Army?And if so what was the rank?
    If none of the above is right,could someone tell me if that uniform belonged to Infantry,Cavalry or what else.I need a small clue to continue my research.Thank you again and please help me.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Russian  uniform,Caucasus January 1917   Russian  uniform,Caucasus January 1917  

Russian  uniform,Caucasus January 1917   Russian  uniform,Caucasus January 1917  

Default Re: Russian uniform,Caucasus January 1917

For the record,that 04 i thought proved to be 114.My great grandfather Anton Muratov was a Sergeant Major [Feldfebel] in the 114th Infantry regiment (20th Army Corps,29th Infantry Division,1st Brigade).Thanks to Mike and Art.