Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Uniform identification

Article about: Hi All Please can you help me with this uniform. My guess is that this photo was taken in the 1920s or 1930s Is it a RKKA or Red Army uniform? Your advice will lead to me being able to ident

?

Default Uniform identification

Hi All

Please can you help me with this uniform. My guess is that this photo was taken in the 1920s or 1930s

Is it a RKKA or Red Army uniform? Your advice will lead to me being able to identify the person in this photograph.

Thank you very much.

Uniform identification

?

Hello Joyaa,
    He appears to be wearing a 1902 pattern British Service Dress tunic (with replacement buttons), which may suggest a Russian White Army organisation, as British uniform and equipment was supplied in quantity to the anti-Bolshevik armies from around spring 1919 (much of this was purchased from British ex-servicemen, who had been allowed to return home with their worn uniforms).

The collar patches appear to be those of a Private in the Latvian Army of this period, who were also supplied with British uniforms (red base, with white braid).

I hope this is of some help.
    Bob

Thanks for this interesting information Bob.

?

You’re welcome.
    The British Government put out an appeal to ex-servicemen, offering a sizeable sum for their greatcoats, tunics, trousers and boots (I don’t immediately recall the amount paid for each item, but it was attractive enough for many thousands to return some of the best clothing they had ever owned!), and is one of the reasons this stuff is now so hard to find!

Bob

?

Hi Bob,
    Gosh - what can I say! Thanks very much for this information. Your response alone has made my registering to this forum to ask about this uniform extremely worthwhile! Armed with this information, I hope to source the relevant army list, if obtainable, and determine which of a pair of brothers is this cousin of mine.
    Thanks very much, Joyaa

?

You are very welcome, Joyaa!
    I hope it helps you in your search and I look forward to hearing what you find!

Oh, and welcome aboard!
    You certainly made a good decision to join up...

All the best,
    Bob