Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Attributed Juncker Hollow ISA

Article about: Hi Guys A recent upgrade to my attributed Juncker ISA collection; a hollow design having a base material of zinc. The Nickel Silver (NS) variants are highly sought after and usually command

Default Attributed Juncker Hollow ISA

Hi Guys

A recent upgrade to my attributed Juncker ISA collection; a hollow design having a base material of zinc.

The Nickel Silver (NS) variants are highly sought after and usually command a premium price, even though they are what I consider a rather common ISA.
    That said, they are produced using a quality NS base and have a great obverse design.

In looking at the hollow zinc examples, it is the bronze grade that is usually encountered.
    Tracking down a zinc hollow variation in silver grade is (IMO) very difficult, especially with the finish intact.

The reverse shows a slight hardware difference with the addition of the circular shaped catch plate; the NS examples soldered the catch directly to the badge.
    I theorize the plate was probably needed for a larger attachment surface due to the lower temperatures used on zinc when soldering the set up in place.

Hope you like it.

Best regards, fischer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Attributed Juncker Hollow ISA   Attributed Juncker Hollow ISA  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Attributed Juncker Hollow ISA
    P
    Many

Hi fischer,

The Juncker attribution is surely 100% correct isn't it? The rear hardware set up matches exactly that firms PAB and GAB zinc production badges from what I can see. Is there some conjecture for it to be merely 'Attributed' rather than confirmed??

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Another beauty fischer!
    I'm surprised that there are still some you do not already have.
    Congrats!
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

A fine example mate. Juncker seem to be the optimum award maker most prized by collectors. But as we know there are other gems out there. I agree they are not as rare as we are led to believe, but pricewise they remain "top end" material. Glad to see your variant hunt continues old mate, keep up the good work. When are we going to do an ISA book? Only joking Fischer. Stewy

Yet another superb looking award, a top top piece. Leon.

very nice.

Quote by big ned View Post
    The Juncker attribution is surely 100% correct isn't it? The rear hardware set up matches exactly that firms PAB and GAB zinc production badges from what I can see. Is there some conjecture for it to be merely 'Attributed' rather than confirmed??
    Hi Ned

Juncker attribution is a widely debated subject and there are passionate viewpoints on both sides of the aisle.
    I will try an explain my perspective for referring to these examples as "attributed Juncker" ISA's.

The Nickel Silver "attributed Juncker" PAB, as you know were once referred to as the "Porsche" by collectors for ease of identification.
    Using maker marked examples as a reference point (in this case I have read the missing link was an L/12 marked wound badge) and applying deduction and forensics, inconclusive evidence suggested Juncker was the manufacturer of the NS Porsche PAB.
    And, the NS ISA that we now refer to as "Juncker" was aslo linked to this so-called Juncker PAB due to like hardware, base materials, etc.

Now, my reasons for considering this attribution as inconclusive are the following;

We know hardware was sub-contracted out and several makers used the same hinges, catches, etc. Bags of catches, catch plates, badge pins, etc. have been found post war that did not get used. Below are some wartime ads for hardware showing the existence of companies who were in business to produce hardware for the badge makers. This also shows each maker did not produce their own hardware. And, because of this, I think you cannot link a maker just by the set up a badge uses.

Best Regards, fischer
    Attached Images Attached Images Attributed Juncker Hollow ISA  Attributed Juncker Hollow ISA  Attributed Juncker Hollow ISA  Attributed Juncker Hollow ISA 

Whoo, now that is damned interesting Fischer. A very different "slant" but fully informed , thanks for this, another detail for my tiny brain to try and compute! Leon.

Hi Ned

Here is another reason I think we cannot assign makers by the hardware system.

If we look at the following example, this ISA looks to be a typical unmarked ShuCo. It has the same sheet metal hinge with a formed base and the familiar angled-trimmed corners that the maker marked "ShuCo 41" examples sometimes have. Even the catch has the typical left face opening.

Yet, this one was found in a paper packet indicating it came from the firm Eduard Hahn. Also, here is a pic of the complete grouping the way it came from the family.

Upon close inspection, slight vein pattern differences and a thick type of finish are traits of the so-called "Hahn" examples providing variation when compared to the ShuCo marked ISA's.

Did Hahn produce these? Did ShuCo produce these for Hahn? Did Gottlieb & Wagner have something to do with these examples?
    We know G&W also has an attributed ShuCo Design ISA found in G&W marked packets.

I think all we can safely assume is some type of cooperation existed between these companies.
    But without conclusive proof, we can only speculate on who actually produced the Hahn example.

Best Regards, fischer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Attributed Juncker Hollow ISA   Attributed Juncker Hollow ISA  

Attributed Juncker Hollow ISA   Attributed Juncker Hollow ISA  

Attributed Juncker Hollow ISA  

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Another beauty fischer!
    I'm surprised that there are still some you do not already have.
    Congrats!
    Ralph.
    Thank you Ralph...

This one was not a missing variant but an upgrade. Here is my previous example.

Best regards, fischer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast