Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Infanterie Strum Abzeichen - good or bad?

Article about: Well I picked this up today with two nice death cards. I'm almost positive the medal itself is real it's marked R.S correctly. But the pin I think is a replacement, there is no metal piece t

Default Infanterie Strum Abzeichen - good or bad?

Well I picked this up today with two nice death cards.
    I'm almost positive the medal itself is real it's marked R.S correctly.
    But the pin I think is a replacement, there is no metal piece that pushes against the medal and leaves a dent to make the pin tight, and there is no dent. Let me know, catch is also broken but. I think the rest looks alright
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Infanterie Strum Abzeichen - good or bad?   Infanterie Strum Abzeichen - good or bad?  

Infanterie Strum Abzeichen - good or bad?  
    Last edited by Adrian; 07-30-2013 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Title changed to use German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Infanterie Strum Abzeichen - good or bad?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Infantry assault badge good or bad?

Hello,
    the badge seems to have very soft details even for a post war Souval.
    Looking at it under magnification I see quite a lot wrong with it. The small marked RS normally has very pronounced full stops following the letters. Yours may have been squashed in the vice at the same time the bottom of the RS was squashed.
    The hinge is a variant I have never seen on either wartime or post war produced badges so I assume it is a complete replacement along with the pin.
    Souval did get through a number of variant hinge and pin assemblies according to what was available.
    I can't see the hook plate but it looks as though yours is cast as part of the badge and the wire hook is missing or broken off?..........Even on late produced solid zinc Souval badges the hook plate was always a nice rounded piece generally with a round wire hook (I prefer the examples with the flat wire as these are more likely to be wartime..rather than the post war Tommy and GI souvenirs)
    It's not one I would particularly want in my collection
    All the best
    Doug

Hello

My opinion of the badge in question is the following; it's a small marked RS Souval fake based on the accepted Wartime produced Rudolf Souval Infantry Assault Badge.

Rudolf Souval ISA Production:
    In regards to Wartime / Post War production, as Doug has stated Souval did both.

The Post War Souval claw examples are easily identified due to the hardware differences and the overall silhouette differences of the badge.
    These have been found with the swazy, with the swazy cut away BEFORE the finish was applied and some are marked with Souval's "Leistungsgemeinschaft der Deutschen Ordenshersteller" number L/58. The L/58 marking is not seen on Wartime accepted examples.

There is speculation that Souval continued producing the Wartime marked R.S. examples and I for the most part agree with this theory. However, solid proof of this has not surfaced.

Best Regards, fischer

Also, here is a Souval fake I have that matches the badge in question.

Reverse Features
    The maker mark on my example has been covered with excessive solder but the top of the "R" is still visible.
    If you compare the reverse of both examples you will see the same small waffle pattern flaw at the top of the eagles head
    The file markings on the raised hinge guide lines or box and what appears to be the same hinge type
    The same molded in catch plate with the same portion missing from the lower left of the ribbon bow

Both have rough surfaces and are pitted excessivly.

Best Regards, fischer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Infanterie Strum Abzeichen - good or bad?   Infanterie Strum Abzeichen - good or bad?  

souval would throw up if he saw that with his name on.

I got it from a friend for $60 with two nice death cards. I had it checked by other people they said the badge was alright but the hardware on the back was all re-placed. The hinge was put on by hand, the pin is not orginal to it and the catch his broken but not a cast with the medal, it looks as if it were separately put on. It's not rough and Dosent have almost any pitting, but i see the "waffle" look at the top of it.

?

I hope that these people who checked out this badge weren't the Youtube "experts" who have
    commented on your stuff on that site.

Regards
    Brett

?

Moved to the correct forum.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

No many friends over facebook from around the world in military groups. Experts. Most of them on there 30s - 50s

?

Default Re: Infanterie Strum Abzeichen - good or bad?

There are many self proclaimed experts out there who really aren't what they claim to be. Are any of them members of forums such as this? Perhaps they could be invited over here to put forward their reasons for this badge to be genuine?

I bet none of them could give you detailed reasons why the badge is good or bad like Fischer has above...............?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast