Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Infanterie Sturmabzeichen E. Ferdinand Wiedmann - "Lily Pad"

Article about: Hi all, Regarding the so called Wiedmann "Lily Pad" hinge I have search the forum and found two variations. One with curved pin and the other with straight pin. My question is if t

Default Infanterie Sturmabzeichen E. Ferdinand Wiedmann - "Lily Pad"

Hi all,

Regarding the so called Wiedmann "Lily Pad" hinge I have search the forum and found two variations. One with curved pin and the other with straight pin.

My question is if these are both referred to just "Lily Pad" even if the pins are different?

Infanterie Sturmabzeichen E. Ferdinand Wiedmann - "Lily Pad" Infanterie Sturmabzeichen E. Ferdinand Wiedmann - "Lily Pad"

Thanks
    /Jonas

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Infanterie Sturmabzeichen E. Ferdinand Wiedmann - "Lily Pad"
    P
    Many

Default Re: Infanterie Sturmabzeichen E. Ferdinand Wiedmann - "Lily Pad"

Hi Jonas, The 'lily pad' hinge was not used only by Weidmann, two makers I can think of were also using this hinge at the time, namely ShuCo and Petz & Lorenz, there may well be others, fischer will know.

The term 'lily pad' actually refers to the shape of the hinge plate, it looks like a lily pad with the little nick in it. Here's a P&L example.

Infanterie Sturmabzeichen E. Ferdinand Wiedmann - "Lily Pad"Infanterie Sturmabzeichen E. Ferdinand Wiedmann - "Lily Pad"

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Ned is correct, the term lily pad comes from the shape of the hinge and nothing to do with the pin.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Ok, thanks for the information.

/Jonas

Hello

I can only agree with Ned, the so-called Lily Pad hinge is used by other makers aside from Wiedmann with the two he mentioned as the most prevalent. . Because of the frequency with which Wiedmann Lily Pad solid examples (shown in your first picture) are found, this hardware set up had been referred to as the Wiedmann hinge.
    With other makers using this set up, we can see it was not an exclusively Wiedmann product and hence the nickname.
    My opinion would be a hardware sub-contractor supplied this type of hinge to various makers, but that is another discussion.

Besides the attributed P&L that Ned shows and the semi-hollow ShuCo Design mentioned, I have seen one E. Muller hollow with this lily pad hinge and heard rumors of a Deschler solid using it.

As to the second part of your question about the pins. The reason the lily pad hinge has the one piece " T " shaped pin and the other having the common Shepherd's crook is the second hinge is not a lily pad hinge. The second is a standard "sheet metal" hinge with a rectangular shaped base.

Best Regards, fischer

Quote by fischer View Post
    Hello

I can only agree with Ned, the so-called Lily Pad hinge is used by other makers aside from Wiedmann with the two he mentioned as the most prevalent. . Because of the frequency with which Wiedmann Lily Pad solid examples (shown in your first picture) are found, this hardware set up had been referred to as the Wiedmann hinge.
    With other makers using this set up, we can see it was not an exclusively Wiedmann product and hence the nickname.
    My opinion would be a hardware sub-contractor supplied this type of hinge to various makers, but that is another discussion.

Besides the attributed P&L that Ned shows and the semi-hollow ShuCo Design mentioned, I have seen one E. Muller hollow with this lily pad hinge and heard rumors of a Deschler solid using it.

As to the second part of your question about the pins. The reason the lily pad hinge has the one piece " T " shaped pin and the other having the common Shepherd's crook is the second hinge is not a lily pad hinge. The second is a standard "sheet metal" hinge with a rectangular shaped base.

Best Regards, fischer
    Thanks fischer for the informative answer.

/Jonas

Hi,

Now I have added a nice Wiedmann "lily pad" to my collection.

Infanterie Sturmabzeichen E. Ferdinand Wiedmann - "Lily Pad"Infanterie Sturmabzeichen E. Ferdinand Wiedmann - "Lily Pad"

/Jonas

Hi Jonas

Congrats on acquiring a very nice E. Ferd Wiedmann with Lily Pad hinge...

This is the "classic" example in the Wiedmann line up of Infanterie Sturmabzeichen's.

Best Regards, fischer