Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Infanterie Sturmabzeichen - Fake or Real ?

Article about: Any help appreciated, picked up in auction sorry only pictures i have. Any help appreciated.

Default Infanterie Sturmabzeichen - Fake or Real ?

Any help appreciated, picked up in auction sorry only pictures i have. Any help appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Infanterie Sturmabzeichen - Fake or Real ?   Infanterie Sturmabzeichen - Fake or Real ?  

Last edited by rbminis; 09-07-2019 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Edited title to use the correct German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Infanterie Sturmabzeichen - Fake or Real ?
    P
    Many

I don't like the hardware setup. The IAB is not a highly faked badge but I would have passed on this one. The missing catch would be also a reason to pass. Hope you did not pay to much.

John

There are plenty of fake IABs out there.

This one however, is a Franke & Co, per Sasha Weber's book. If you look at the thickness of the rifle action, the shape of the wreath stems, the outline of the birds head and the hinge, the mark on the pin, it appears to be a match.

As far as buying the badge, it is the crazy sandpaper "polishing" job on the back that would turn me away from that one, much more than the missing catch, but it sounds like you already won it (hopefully the price was right).

If I was stuck with it, I would at the very least make a new catch and solder it on; if your not experienced at soldering, I would find a professional, rather than ruin the badge. Also, put Vaseline on it to help with the Zinc-Pest on the bayonet. In a display case, where the back is concealed, this may not look all that bad.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Infanterie Sturmabzeichen - Fake or Real ?  

Hey Chrish124, thanks so much for this, i really really appreciate it. I paid EUR 35,00 for it, was that too much as i am relatively knew to collecting and i knew there was damage to the back, thanks Frank

You can see these going for 100-300 depending on maker, condition and rarity on many of the militaria websites, with the average being in the 100-150 range (and I am only estimating here).
    As for your question about paying too much,....many collectors wouldn't take it if you paid them, some others like a rough piece for a low price, it is really preference.

And I think most people get some cheap, rough pieces when they first start collecting, and aren't sure what to get or how much to spend.

PS: Get some Vaseline on that badge ASAP if you have not already, it will help with the corrosion and it will look a lot nicer too.
    Last edited by Chrish124; 09-28-2019 at 03:04 AM.