Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber

Article about: Here is a new addition to my collection. I bought it thinking it was a ShuCo, but after looking closely at it, I am now unsure. Ralph.

Default Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber

Here is a new addition to my collection. I bought it thinking it was a ShuCo, but after looking closely at it, I am now unsure.
    Ralph.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber   Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber  

Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber   Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber  

Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber   Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber  

Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber  
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber
    P
    Many

Default Re: Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber

Hi Ralph,

Looking at the prominent drooping beak, sheet metal wrap around hinge and the rectangular catch plate with rounded off corners, I think it may be by an unknown maker, but is reffered to as the 'Broken Stem' Infanterie Sturmabzeichen.

Probably best to wait for fischer, stewy or others more in the know though!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi Ralph, it is a nice badge either way.

I have a Schuco and it does not match, but there are several variants to this makers products.

Others will know.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Ralph,

Looking at the prominent drooping beak, sheet metal wrap around hinge and the rectangular catch plate with rounded off corners, I think it may be by an unknown maker, but is reffered to as the 'Broken Stem' Infanterie Sturmabzeichen.

Probably best to wait for fischer, stewy or others more in the know though!
    Thanks Ned!
    I did a little research and this one does not exhibit the usual traits of a broken stem.
    Ralph.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber  
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Ralph, it is a nice badge either way.

I have a Schuco and it does not match, but there are several variants to this makers products.

Others will know.

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks Ade!
    I compared it to the only other ShuCo that I have and there are details that do not match. I know that there are a number of variants of this maker's Infanterie Sturmabzeichen, that is why I felt that it was one from the photos that I viewed.
    Ralph.

Hi Ralph

Congrats on another nice addition to your collection.

I agree with Ned's conclusion...this one is an unknown variant referred to by collectors as the Broken Stem.
    The die flaw that gives this variant it's name is not always present as we see here...albeit more often than not.

Besides this style of hinge and catch plate, there are several different hardware set ups, head sculpt shapes, finish types and even a recessed reverse can be found.
    These are regarded as a common variant but the challenge is to gather all the different set ups.

Best Regards, fischer

Quote by fischer View Post
    Hi Ralph

Congrats on another nice addition to your collection.

I agree with Ned's conclusion...this one is an unknown variant referred to by collectors as the Broken Stem.
    The die flaw that gives this variant it's name is not always present as we see here...albeit more often than not.

Besides this style of hinge and catch plate, there are several different hardware set ups, head sculpt shapes, finish types and even a recessed reverse can be found.
    These are regarded as a common variant but the challenge is to gather all the different set ups.

Best Regards, fischer
    Many thanks for the confirmation fischer!
    So, the one that I have without the die flaw is less common than the others? Obviously the other charecteristics give us the clues as to the which one this is.
    Ralph.

Hi Ralph

Hard to say really...of the seven examples I have two are like yours and the other five have the die flaw. I think the one with the die flaw is seen most often.
    When compared to other IAB's, both types are considered common.
    Why the two different obverse features?

There are several possibilities here.
    Different die sets
    Die was damaged at some point.
    Two different firms with the dies supplied by a master die maker.

There are different finishes, dark bronze and a mottled bronze like the common JFS. Chrome silver or the frosted type "Weiß" or white finish.
    The head sculpts vary from an aggressive, slanted look to a more subtle curve of the beak.
    Some have the striations on the reverse, as yours shows and some do not. Some are found with hollow recesses in the reverse as well.
    Sheet metal hinges have different shaped bases, ones with the rounded cornered rectangular shapes and others with the 45' angled cornered base.
    Catch plates can be the circular type; large or small in size, square cornered rectangular shaped or rounded cornered (like yours).
    A very rare Broken Stem variant has a catch that is similar to the one used on Forster & Barth minesweeper badges.
    There is even a very rare screw-back example.

My thinking is these come from the Pforzheim area, having compared them to other Heer and Kreigs badges from that area.
    Because of the cooperation between the Liefergemeinschaft Pforzheim, it makes it very difficult to determine which maker actually produced these badges.
    It's just like the A.G.M.u.K. cooperation in Gablonz.

Best Regards, fischer

Thanks for the great info fischer!
    And here i thought I was going to be happy with one example by this maker.
    Ralph.

Quote by fischer View Post
    Hi Ralph

Hard to say really...of the seven examples I have two are like yours and the other five have the die flaw. I think the one with the die flaw is seen most often.
    When compared to other Infanterie Sturmabzeichen's, both types are considered common.
    Why the two different obverse features?

There are several possibilities here.
    Different die sets
    Die was damaged at some point.
    Two different firms with the dies supplied by a master die maker.

There are different finishes, dark bronze and a mottled bronze like the common JFS. Chrome silver or the frosted type "Weiß" or white finish.
    The head sculpts vary from an aggressive, slanted look to a more subtle curve of the beak.
    Some have the striations on the reverse, as yours shows and some do not. Some are found with hollow recesses in the reverse as well.
    Sheet metal hinges have different shaped bases, ones with the rounded cornered rectangular shapes and others with the 45' angled cornered base.
    Catch plates can be the circular type; large or small in size, square cornered rectangular shaped or rounded cornered (like yours).
    A very rare Broken Stem variant has a catch that is similar to the one used on Forster & Barth minesweeper badges.
    There is even a very rare screw-back example.

My thinking is these come from the Pforzheim area, having compared them to other Heer and Kreigs badges from that area.
    Because of the cooperation between the Liefergemeinschaft Pforzheim, it makes it very difficult to determine which maker actually produced these badges.
    It's just like the A.G.M.u.K. cooperation in Gablonz.

Best Regards, fischer
    WOW!! Fischer, you de man!!
    Attached Images Attached Images Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber 
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.