Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Infanterie Sturmabzeichen L/56

Article about: Hello, Here is another Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Bronze(at lest I think its Bronze) by Funcke & Bruninghaus and is marked L/56. This is the heaviest badge in my collection and unlike

Default Infanterie Sturmabzeichen L/56

Hello,

Here is another Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Bronze(at lest I think its Bronze) by Funcke & Bruninghaus and is marked L/56. This is the heaviest badge in my collection and unlike the others its totally flat.

There is a little dirt on the badge so I was wondering what you guys thought regarding whether to remove it or leave it be? I feel confident enough to clean it off without disrupting the finish or patina in any way but I wanted to hear some opinions from other collectors. My only concern is if left on would it eventually contribute to any accelerated corrosion?

Thanks for looking!

Kirby
    Infanterie Sturmabzeichen L/56Infanterie Sturmabzeichen L/56Infanterie Sturmabzeichen L/56Infanterie Sturmabzeichen L/56Infanterie Sturmabzeichen L/56Infanterie Sturmabzeichen L/56

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Infanterie Sturmabzeichen L/56
    P
    Many

Hi Kirby,

That's a nice roundwire catch F&B that's seen it's share of action i'll bet! The badge would be best left as is imo, it looks stabilised, and you'd only be taking off the history of the badge and where it's been. It's not hurting, so leave it as is I would say.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

I completely agree with Ned's viewpoint. There is nothing on the badge that I would say needs cleaning, it is the evidence of time, not dirt.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Thanks guy's, I appreciate your advice and will leave it be.

Kirby

Hi Kirby

I can only agree with Ned's analysis of your nice L/56 Funcke & Bruninghaus example.
    The F&BL examples are one of the largest zinc solids in the IAB world and I have a couple that weigh over 39 grams.

Myself, I would also leave the badge itself the way it is; I do not see any zinc pest, etc. that would necessitate cleaning.
    But, I would apply a light coat of Vaseline to the badge pin, catch and hinge and slow down the rusting process on the hardware. Just my .02 cents

Best Regards, fischer

Nice L/56. I agree with the other folks too. Stewy

nice one.

Thanks guys! Hing, catch and pin covered and the dirt will forever remain while the badge is in my care.

Kirby