Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Infanterie Sturmabzeichen maker mark?

Article about: Hello i recently got this infantry assault badge and believe for it to be original with the only fault being the broken catch. Could anyone tell me what the maker mark of it is and is it sil

Default Infanterie Sturmabzeichen maker mark?

Hello i recently got this infantry assault badge and believe for it to be original with the only fault being the broken catch.
    Could anyone tell me what the maker mark of it is and is it silver or bronze rank?

Last edited by Adrian; 10-21-2012 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Title changed to use German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Infanterie Sturmabzeichen maker mark?
    P
    Many

Default Re: infantry assault badge maker mark?

It's a very worn Bruder Schneider AG Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in silber. There are several variants regarding the hardware, mm type (macro, micro), mm position and fixing methods, i.e. flat crimp, waffle crimp etc.

This one appears to me to be a wrap around hinge with macro mm behind the swastika. besides the missing catch, at some time the pin has been removed/lost and been re-fitted the wrong way around. The foot of the pin near the hinge should be on the underside, not as it is here on top.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thankyou very much for the info.
    It does has its set backs but I got it for just over 20 British pounds so I'm happy at that price.
    Is bruder a common marker for assault badges ?

It's pretty common, especially in this condition, BUT.....There is something that i've just spotted that is VERY rare about this particular example! Zoom in on the obverse pic, right in the centre of the Swastika. Can you see the 'ghost' of the letter 'w'? The obverse has been stamped with the Ace of Clubs mm exactly at the same point as on the reverse, and that is very seldom seen on BSW Infanterie Sturmabzeichen's and no-one knows why it was done, but it is generally accepted as being deliberate.

This won't increase the value of the badge IMO, but considering you got for a mere 20 quid I think you've done really well picking up a rare variant Dan.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Infanterie Sturmabzeichen maker mark?  
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Ned
    If you had not pointed out the mark I would of never known.
    It could possibly be a certain regiment type? Or possibly a personalised style that the soilders wanted it?
    Yeah I was happy with the price as I've only ever seen them for 50 plus quid.
    But thanks for your help I now have learnt something new.

Quote by daniel1234 View Post
    Ned
    If you had not pointed out the mark I would of never known.
    It could possibly be a certain regiment type? Or possibly a personalised style that the soilders wanted it?
    Yeah I was happy with the price as I've only ever seen them for 50 plus quid.
    But thanks for your help I now have learnt something new.
    It's not a regimental type or personalised style, it was done during the manufacture process and is the same stamping as is on the reverse, it's called the makers mark. Why this was done is at moment lost in the sands of time, but as I said, it is considered to have been done deliberately. So far it has only been found on a very few BSW Infanterie Sturmabzeichen's and is a mystery to collectors and historians of these awards as far as I know. Perhaps fischer can shed a little light on the conundrum?

Regards, Ned.

Quote by big ned View Post
    It's a very worn Bruder Schneider AG Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in silber. There are several variants regarding the hardware, mm type (macro, micro), mm position and fixing methods, i.e. flat crimp, waffle crimp etc.

This one appears to me to be a wrap around hinge with macro mm behind the swastika. besides the missing catch, at some time the pin has been removed/lost and been re-fitted the wrong way around. The foot of the pin near the hinge should be on the underside, not as it is here on top.

Regards, Ned.
    I can only agree with Ned's summation of this variant. BSW being one of the more prevalent Infanterie Sturmabzeichen makers from the Vienna area.

In regards to the ghosting "W" on the front of the swazy, this is seen often with this particular mm BSW. The thinking is the raised mm of the reverse die came into contact with the obverse die causing a "W" depression in the front of the swazy.

Here is one I have.

Best regards, fischer