Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Question: real or not real, infanterie sturmabzeichnem GWL.....

Article about: Thanks guys, so if i understand correctly it is a real one, nice! I will make some pictures of the other items i have found and post them as well. Have a nice day!!

Default Re: Question: real or not real, infanterie sturmabzeichnem GWL.....

Thanks guys, so if i understand correctly it is a real one, nice!
    I will make some pictures of the other items i have found and post them as well.

Have a nice day!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Question: real or not real, infanterie sturmabzeichnem GWL.....
    P
    Many

?

Quote by n0valyfe View Post
    It's a silver infantry assault award badge, and sorry its bad news sadly, this lacks a lot of detail around the feet to the swastika, the swastika is also very square. the mark should be smaller and facing up the the barrel -> bayonet of the rifle. The eagle is also slanted from the position of the photo. But nothing like having the thing in your hand to judge for real, sadly photos can only go so far.

That is just my opinion
    Quote by n0valyfe View Post
    I was looking back at it thinking of cast quality, and shows common signs of the trigger of a cast tbh...
    Be careful about jumping in and labelling something a fake if you don't know for sure. Take your time, compare it to several, note any variants, look close at the reverse hardware and the details, familiarise yourself with the manufactuing process and techniques, understand the timelines of the badges, the materials used, which maker used what and when etc.

There are many aspects to authenticating a piece, many of which are learnt over time. You cannot and will not know it in a day, a week or maybe even a month.
    It takes time and effort and a hellava lot of study and experience to be able to accurately identify and talk with wisdom about a particular award. That is just one award out of very very many.

A lot of new members turn up, see a couple of badges and think they know everything there is to know. They don't and get found out very quickly. Ask Fischer how long he has taken to accumulate the knowledge he has about the Infanterie Sturmabzeichen, how many hours of study, how many dollars he has spent, how many examples he's studied to know this award inside out and become a well known and respected authority in his chosen field.

Please, stop and look, make observations and discuss them, ask questions but don't condemn a piece in the first sentance and then list things that you don't like about a piece. There are things I don't like about many pieces but it doesn't make them fake. Some of the things that we don't like are actually the features which can confirm originality.

You say the swastika feet are lacking detail? Did you mean the eagle's feet? If so, you're correct, the eagle's feet are lacking detail but is this a common occurance on GWL badges? Is it a variant?

The swastika is too square? Yes, it's supposed to be.

The mark should be facing up the barrel/bayonet? Do you mean the makers mark? If so, I genuinely don't know what you mean?

The eagle is slanted because the badge is slanted in the photo.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Sound advice Adrian. The last thing anyone wants is for members to give inaccurate information.

Inexperience, youth and enthusiasm...I remember those days!

Hi Guys

The solid GWL has been a "minefield" since I started collecting Infanterie Sturmabzeichen's.
    After a friend got burned, I stayed away from these for the first couple of years because I could not tell if one was an original or a cleverly constructed fake.

Some of the fake GWL examples are easily identified. Having a reverse forged/integral hinge and catch set up...mistakes by the fakers were/are easy to spot.
    Some also exhibit cast lines along the edges and the badge pin has differences from originals.

That being said, some GWL fakes are extremely difficult to tell.

After it was discovered that these were being highly faked, the hinge, catch, cast marks and bubbles were exposed.
    Along with these, some characteristics of originals were mistakenly listed as wrong when in fact they were good.
    This caused real confusion and opinions varied widely on what was good example and what was not.

Take the example that Dan posted here. This one would be considered a fake (4) years ago.
    These were labeled the "Adam's Apple" fakes due to the extra material seen in the neck area when looking at the reverse.
    What had happened, the fakers copied an original with the Adam's Apple. Today, the appearance of this extra material does not automatically condemn a badge.
    And, Dan's example is a very nice original.

This being said, I am certain good GWL Infanterie Sturmabzeichen's have been tossed out and trashed because someone called it a fake.

As Adrian points out, it is always best to ask questions, point out your concerns, ask for feedback and then present your argument as to why a badge is not good.

Best Regards, fischer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2