Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

101st airborne patch type 3?

Article about: Hi all, I hope that someone can help me with this screaming eagle patch. My knowledge in this section is very little and I want to learn more about the 101st Arirborne patches that they made

I like this one and put it as WWII to occupation period made.

This differs from your previous variation in as much as the construction, embroidery, thread is more aligned to WWII manufacturing era.

As for the "Bando Types", I really don't follow them as it just does my head in because every collector has to get the exact manufactured patch to say this is a Type "49583921."

Bando produced a booklet outlining the major types that he encountered but there were others within each type that had slight variations.

Another point to make is there were many factories from mom and pop schiffli embroidery family run co , to manufacturing factories like Stein & Tobler and Lion bros that churned out millions of patches.

So you will get variations of details and construction thru the schiffli process mainly thru the subtle difference in design (designer) and the lead stitcher using their own tapes that programmed the stitching process.

Phill

The difficulty for you is to find a matching tab!

Quote by Phill Lockett View Post
    I like this one and put it as WWII to occupation period made.

This differs from your previous variation in as much as the construction, embroidery, thread is more aligned to WWII manufacturing era.

As for the "Bando Types", I really don't follow them as it just does my head in because every collector has to get the exact manufactured patch to say this is a Type "49583921."

Bando produced a booklet outlining the major types that he encountered but there were others within each type that had slight variations.

Another point to make is there were many factories from mom and pop schiffli embroidery family run co , to manufacturing factories like Stein & Tobler and Lion bros that churned out millions of patches.

So you will get variations of details and construction thru the schiffli process mainly thru the subtle difference in design (designer) and the lead stitcher using their own tapes that programmed the stitching process.

Phill

The difficulty for you is to find a matching tab!
    I should add this is my own opinion as a friend said to me "opinions are like "a!@#holes everyone has one"

Quote by John4022 View Post
    Robert, I might need to look into getting that book. I just use Bandos website, not the best of pictures there but it is a nice quick reference. Is there a lot of nice close up pictures of the patches?
    The book is based on the Mark A. Bando website. It's a nice little book (99 pages) for beginners or to take with you on the way. And it cost around €20,- ($22~)
    ISBN: 978-2-912994-65-9

*Maybe a nice story of how I did get this book in my possession:

During a militaria fair there was a guy selling 101st airborne patches. He had around 5 or 6 patches on his table. And I saw a very nice one, that was also for some reason cheaper. He said that I picked out the Postwar patch. He adviced me to do my homework and studing the diffrent patches to recognize a WW2 or Postwar. So he recommend to buy that book instead of buying a patch in the hope it's a ww2 type. The seller also said if he makes the price the same as the else he can easily sell it as a ww2-patch, because the people don't know anything about the patches and they believe what the seller say.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 101st airborne patch type 3?   101st airborne patch type 3?  

101st airborne patch type 3?   101st airborne patch type 3?  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2