Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Air Raid Precautions membership badges

Article about: The ARP was a vital part of the Civil Defence network in Britain in WW2. Here we have a mint pair of membership badges still in the original box. One is pin backed while the other is fitted

Default Air Raid Precautions membership badges

The ARP was a vital part of the Civil Defence network in Britain in WW2.

Here we have a mint pair of membership badges still in the original box. One is pin backed while the other is fitted with a button hole fastener.

These are made from solid silver. The date letter for the silver hallmark is "C" which is for 1938.

The dates for the letters on the hallmark are as follows:
    A=1936
    B=1937
    C=1938
    D=1939

Later badges were made from white metal in order to save on costs.

Men's badges came in a red box, while ladies badges came in a blue box.

Cheers, Ade.
    Attached Images Attached Images Air Raid Precautions membership badges  Air Raid Precautions membership badges 

?

Default Re: Air Raid Precautions membership badges

This is a awesome set ade ! Is great condition ! Thanks for the date info ...

Kind regards
    Alex

I have seen one of these badges, the larger one in silver. I am thinking about purchasing as it seems good and the box is in good condition but the smaller button hole one is not present. Were these issued in pairs? If so should I be looking for a discount on the £24 the shop has put on them? Any further information would be most welcome. Cheers

?

"Were these issued in pairs?" No
    "If so should I be looking for a discount on the £24 the shop has put on them?" Yes
    Pretty common on e-pay, box and all, and probably cheaper.
    I think that the mens (large) is button hole backed and the ladies (large) pin backed. So Ade you need a large button hole one for your box.
    I have several mens (no boxes) somewhere.
    Pete

Thanks for the assistance, I shall have a look on flea bay and get more of an idea about price. I have seen others locally but not with the box. I will go in there and hit hard for a discount!

Today I picked up two more badges.

Both have button hole fittings. The large one is hall marked for 1936, so is the first year of production. Both are un cleaned and have a nice patina.

I will be selling these for a nice price. I will add pics in the morning.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Here are the badges.

I am selling these for £15 for the pair.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Air Raid Precautions membership badges   Air Raid Precautions membership badges  

Air Raid Precautions membership badges  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!