Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Arm of service patch

Article about: I've picked up a nice Canadian BD blouse and it has 8th army shoulder patches and below them on both shoulders are some narrow arm of service strips that are red/blue/red.Would they be Canad

NCA
    ?

Default Arm of service patch

I've picked up a nice Canadian BD blouse and it has 8th army shoulder patches and below them on both shoulders are some narrow arm of service strips that are red/blue/red.Would they be Canadian A-o-S strips?
    Thanks.

Default Re: Arm of service patch

Quote by NCA View Post
    I've picked up a nice Canadian BD blouse and it has 8th army shoulder patches and below them on both shoulders are some narrow arm of service strips that are red/blue/red.Would they be Canadian A-o-S strips?
    Thanks.
    No, definitely not. The Canadian Army didn't use AoS strips at all. The blouse would be for British Royal Army Ordnance Corps.

Rob

NCA
    ?

Ah,ok.Thats interesting...prehaps my BD was used by a Brit then(did they?).Thanks for the confimation.
    i dont suppose you have a link A-o-S strips?

Quote by NCA View Post
    Ah,ok.Thats interesting...prehaps my BD was used by a Brit then(did they?).Thanks for the confimation.
    i dont suppose you have a link A-o-S strips?
    Yes, Canadian BD was used a lot by the British Army. This was especially true just post-war (usually for best as the quality and cut was nicer) as large stocks were left behind when the bulk of the Canadian forces withdrew. Your BD might actually be British Forces in Austria (i.e. the occupation force) rather than Eighth Army (which formed BF in A), as the badge was the same design. AoS strips were made obsolete in 1946 (I think... from memory), so it would fit with this nicely.

The other point of course, is that Canadian Army regulations required the word "CANADA" or 'CANADIAN' shown on uniforms, either as a separate badge or as part of their unit title. This was true even for Canadian officers serving with British units. There were exceptions of course

As an aside, Captain Mainwaring in Dad's Army always wore Canadian BD

Although it is very rare to find cases of Canadian troops in British BD, the British commonly used most types. I have British badged examples of Australian, Canadian, New Zealand and Indian Battledress, for example.

I found an AoS link for you : Arm of Service Strips

Rob

NCA
    ?

Thats great info.Thank you very much.Good link too.