Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Arrmband of Danish resistance- Nice Item

Article about: I just want to share this Arrmband of Danish resistance which I have just bought. IT is in good condition and difficult to get hold of. Here is the original museum text abot it: Armband of D

Default Arrmband of Danish resistance- Nice Item

I just want to share this Arrmband of Danish resistance which I have just bought. IT is in good condition and difficult to get hold of. Here is the original museum text abot it:

Armband of Danish resistance:
    The armband, which later became known as “frihedskæmperarmbindet” (Armband of Danish resistance) is actually planned by the army in 1942 for use in scanty uniforms of conscripts who would ensure the maintenance of peace and order in a situation of German collapse (the so-called P-level). In such a situation it might not be possible to obtain real uniforms. But an armband would acc. Geneva Convention of 1907 is sufficient to identify the wearer as a 'combatant', such that he has not risked being summarily executed by capture, but had a right to be treated in accordance with the laws of war.

The armband was manufactured by the army “materielintendantur” (materiel section) of blue military jacket fabric, on which was placed a tape in Dannebrog colors: red and white. This is because that is a coincidence that the colors were the same as in the RAF hats representing the British colors.

At the armband was sewn around a metal shield with the national coat of arms with the three lions. In the white stripe was woven M.I. for the Material-Intendanturen. (materiel section)

On 29 August 1943 the occupying power dissolved, the Danish army and the army's recent work in identifying illegal groups were coordinated with the civil resistance movement. In this way, it would have been the Army's armband, a common armband for the entire resistance movement.

As a result of drug shortages and local production the “frihedskæmperarmbindet” (Armband of resistance) in many different designs in different fabric and with and without metal shield and woven MI
    Several places in the country was prepared to local armband in completely different colors. Several places in Jutland were used as green armband.
    There is also one piece of it in England but no picture:
    armband, Danish Resistance | Imperial War Museums
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Arrmband of Danish resistance- Nice Item  

I have my Father Borge Franck's resistance armband right next to me here in Manchester England.He left when Denmark was occupied to come to England to then join the British Army,trained with the SOE and then American Army until 1946.He met my WAAF English Mother at RAF Medmenham making the models for the Dambusters Raid in 1943.
    His confirmation Bible is also in the collection at the Resistance Museum in Copenhagen with his signatures and other famous resitance fighters. Proud daughter here currently trying to write their Anglo-Danish War time love story!

Hi Christiana
    Thank you for sharing this nice piece of history with me and our forum. I have now sold this armband and other pieces from the resistance, generally I only collect German military, but sometimes I get some Danish pieces and also from other countries. If you have more history to share, please do it, and thank you again for sharing this niece history info. :-)
    Regards
    John