Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Aussie WW1 Rising suns and RSL badges

Article about: G'day All, Thought I would share my two Favourite Aussie Items, apart from my own issue items I kept. Here are two WW1 rising suns, with the "slider" type clip in the back. These a

?

Default Aussie WW1 Rising suns and RSL badges

G'day All,

Thought I would share my two Favourite Aussie Items, apart from my own issue items I kept.

Here are two WW1 rising suns, with the "slider" type clip in the back. These are commomnly called "Light Horse" issue but were not restricted to issue to Light Horse units only. Other type have the little ring clips on them. Also shown are two "Returned from Active Service" badges for WW1. They were given to Veterans after the war. This practice still continues, though the badge design has changed. Soldiers who have returned from Active service recieve one, and it usually worn when medals are not required at a function or some such. The other badges are "Returned and Services League", similar to the VFW or Legion, membership badges. The large one is original from 1919 with a 1920 year badge applied to it. These small badges were added each year and showed that the member had paid his dues for the year. Theis pratice continued until the 1990's but has been discontinued. the other 3 smaller ones are the size that was adoptedafter 1920 and still in place today. the 1919 badge has 2 figures of a sailor and a soldier, as it was originaly called the "returned sailors and soldier imperial league" over the years a Airforce figure was added and the name changed to the RSL. A fourthn figure was added in the 1990's to include the nurses and the name was changed again to the "Returned and Services League" to reflect the change in focus to include all service personel regardless of overseas service. Each badge is individualy numbred to the soldier and technicaly remain the property of the RSL. A lot of them find their way in medal shops. I have contacted the RSL ref these particular badges, as I think it would be nice to see if the family wants them back!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Aussie WW1 Rising suns and RSL badges   Aussie WW1 Rising suns and RSL badges  

Aussie WW1 Rising suns and RSL badges  

?

Default Re: Aussie WW1 Rising suns and RSL badhes

Just for interets sake, here is my own RSL badge and Returned from active service badge.(RASB) The RASB badge was redesigned after WW2 and has not changed since, except for the Crown. WW2 badges have the Kings crown and the more recent ones have the Queens crown. The modern Rising sun is the current issue and the one I wore on my slouch hat in Iarq in 2005. See my Avatar for a pic of me in that Slouchie.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Aussie WW1 Rising suns and RSL badges  

?

I am sorry, these are WW1 Items and I have them in the wrong section of the forum. Though the Rising Sun badge was the same as WW2 Issue. The "Australia" shoulders titles are Second World War..

My apologies

Hi qotd,
    I have a rising sun badge ww1, with slide on the back, I am lead to believe that the slide badge is a
    british made version. and the Australian version has the rings and cotter pin on the back, the slide badge is getting harder to find over here. thanks for showing them.
    dave.

Default Re: Aussie WW1 Rising suns and RSL badges

Here is my single example.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Aussie WW1 Rising suns and RSL badges  

Hi Ade,
    Nice badge i am looking for a version with the cotter pin now to go with my other slide one,
    they are a nice looking design.
    dave.

Hi Dave, thanks, this one is the split pin type. (Not for sale though, as it was a kind gift)

Cheers, Ade.

?

From what I Understand, the "sliders" were Aussie made, most were made by a maker in Melbourne and some in Sydney, there are maker marked examples. It is not unfeasible that Rising suns were made in England. You will find WW1 Rising suns with slides and cotter pins, though the cotter pin type was the design prefered for WW2 Rising suns. There have been 7 versions of the Rising sun from the Boer war to now. you can tell the differences by the crown, which changes from a Kings crown to a Queens crown, there was a version in the 60's that had "Australian Military Forces" in the scroll, then a version in the 80's which had a federation star behind the Queens crown which simply had "Australia" and now the modern version introduced in the early 90's which has "The Australian Army"

Hi qotd,
    thank for the info on the badges, live and learn i say perhaps iv learned something today i would like to find some really early types of this badge as i think they are interesting. Im looking for the pin type now so may be lucky as i go along. going to research them though.
    regards Dave.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Here is my single example.

Cheers, Ade.
    G'day Ade
    Has this one a maker on the rear?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast