Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Australian 4th Pattern General Service Hat Badge. Stokes

Article about: Gday all, For your viewing pleasure today a 4th Pattern Australian General Service Hat Badge made by Stokes of Melbourne. These were issued between 1949 to 1954 and are getting quite hard to

Default Australian 4th Pattern General Service Hat Badge. Stokes

Gday all,
    For your viewing pleasure today a 4th Pattern Australian General Service Hat Badge made by Stokes of Melbourne.
    These were issued between 1949 to 1954 and are getting quite hard to find.

Australian 4th Pattern General Service Hat Badge. StokesAustralian 4th Pattern General Service Hat Badge. Stokes

Kings Crown and the 1949 title change from "Australian Commonwealth Military Forces" to "Australian Military Forces".
    This is the style of General Service Badge that would have been worn by Australian troops in the Korean conflict. There would have been a cross over to the Queens crown after 1952 but according to the AWM that process took a couple of years so this type were still in service up to 1954.
    This would have to be the heaviest General Service Badge I have, it's quite weighty and very well constructed.

All the best
    Dave

I posted in this section for I could not find a post 1945 section to present it.

Default Re: Australian 4th Pattern General Service Hat Badge. Stokes

Gday all,
    I've just noticed the purple in the image. It's a reflection from the vertical blinds. Sorry about that.
    The badge is in mint condition with no damage to the finish.
    All the best
    Dave

AIF
    ?

Nice badge Dave! It looks in really good condition too!!

I have a few of these I will see if I can get some pics up of my actual Korean war issued ones which are blackened like the WW1/WW2 suns were.

Cheers Luke.

Thanks Luke.
    Looking forward to seeing your examples mate.
    Here's a side on image. It's quite "chunky" in build with a manufactured radius to the ray's.

Australian 4th Pattern General Service Hat Badge. Stokes

All the best
    Dave

AIF
    ?

Hi Dave here are some of my variations first up is a "Stokes" made example the same as you have posted. I don't really like the design of these when you compare them to the rising suns Stokes made during ww1 and ww2 I think they look a bit cheap and more like the rising suns they use for plaques than an actual hat badge... Just my opinion though.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian 4th Pattern General Service Hat Badge. Stokes  

AIF
    ?

Second is a brass version made by "Amor" Sydney. It has the classic features that you would see on a WW2 era KG Luke made rising sun with the chunky lettering and a more pronounced scroll and shorter rays around the top.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian 4th Pattern General Service Hat Badge. Stokes  

AIF
    ?

Third up is another "Amor" made example but this time made of blackened copper, although a bit worn. These were the rising suns worn by the diggers in Korea. I have another one the same which is attached to the front of a 1950 dated pile cap, but I can't get to it at the moment as I am halfway through packing to move house.

AIF
    ?

And lastly a KG Luke made example, this one being a collar or officers badge size which is identical to the Amor made ones posted above obviously they had the same dies. I rarely ever see any collars, maybe 2 sets since I have been collecting (20 years)... I only managed to get this one because it came off the front of a crusty old 1950 dated officers peaked cap that was too far gone to be saved.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers Luke

AIF
    ?

And sorry about over doing the flash in the pics... I'm a collector not a photographer

Gday Luke,
    That's a magnificent collection mate, congrat's on them.
    The copper Amor is a ripper. In truth they are all rippers.
    Thanks a bundle for posting them Luke.
    Cheers and all the best
    Dave
    If any one has more Korean era Pattern 4 General Service Badges post away.