Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Australian 9th division patches

Article about: gday, I purchased these patches a while back and wonder if any one has any idea about them. im lead to believe that they were made in England but never issued due to the Australian divs. ret

4md
    ?

Default Australian 9th division patches

gday, I purchased these patches a while back and wonder if any one has any idea about them.
    im lead to believe that they were made in England but never issued due to the Australian divs. returning to Australia.
    i also heard that the battalions may have prefered to keep their own insignia
    im not sure, they could be fake for all i know
    regards Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian 9th division patches   Australian 9th division patches  

Australian 9th division patches  

Default Re: Australian 9th division patches

Gday Paul,
    Their interesting mate, don't know anything about the history of them but would an Australian 9th Divi platy patch be worth a reproducers time?
    Real or not enjoy them i think their cool bananas.
    Cheers
    Dave

Units were defined at the battalion/regt level not the divisional level-the shape of the shoulder flash defined the division-see attached 'T' shaped (for service at Tobruk) 2/3 Anti tank Regt-this unit was 9th Div in the Western desert then later 7th Div in the Pacific.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian 9th division patches  

4md
    ?

iv seen these for the 6th and 7th division as well , kangaroo and kookaburra..... maybe they were designed because the australian units were going to stay with the 8th army and monty wanted divisional patches......or they may have been designed for divisional units???

Gday Paul,
    I have a incling that the 9th division was earmarked for service in the UK after the fall of France (anti invasion),so the concept of British origin could possibly be spot on.
    My Grandfather served in the 2/13th(9th divi) in New Guinea in 1943-44 before maleria got him and he was sent home.I still to this day remember pop shaking in his chair 40 years later whilst having maleria attacks.
    Cheers mate
    Dave

4md
    ?

seen these for sale, the guy says they were british made for the middle east but the australian divs. had returned to australia to fight the japanese.
    I know there was a fight to keep the aussie divs.in the middle east
    Attached Images Attached Images Australian 9th division patches  Australian 9th division patches 

4md
    ?

Quote by Thanatos View Post
    Gday Paul,
    I have a incling that the 9th division was earmarked for service in the UK after the fall of France (anti invasion),so the concept of British origin could possibly be spot on.
    My Grandfather served in the 2/13th(9th divi) in New Guinea in 1943-44 before maleria got him and he was sent home.I still to this day remember pop shaking in his chair 40 years later whilst having maleria attacks.
    Cheers mate
    Dave
    Gday Dave, My grandfather was 9th div as well( 2/48th), he died in 2009 but i remember an attack of malaria he had only a few years before.
    none of the doctors knew what was wrong with him, he said he has malaria, they were sceptical. but sure enough it was malaria
    i remember him telling me he was hallucinating and saw bowling balls rolling down the hospital corridor..... he loved his lawn bowls

A lot of them were sent home with malaria my grandfather finished his war in new guinea and ended up in hospital as well

Churchill was also intent on sending Australian troops to Rangoon in an attempt to stop the Japanese advance in Burma.But Curtin stopped this folly quick smart.
    I guess the most common application of Australian Divi ensignia was on transport,most images of Divisional markings (platy,kooka and roo over rang) ive seen are usally on wheeled transport.

4md
    ?

ditto iv seen them on vehicles as well and the german propaganda leaflets dropped on the 9th div in tobruk

They carried the physical effects of their service all their lives hay and never once complained.At times mate i wish later generations of Australians would have the same resolve but alas no.Sad our old culture is dying if not already dead.Shame.

Sorry about the bouncy replys but we are having a rather poor computer day down here,dropping in and out and as slow as a wet week of Mondays.