Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Badges of the Mechanised Transport Corps

Article about: Have a look at these which just fell into my hands being in with some navy buttons and described as such, knew i'd seen the wheeled badge on here somewhere. As you can see there is an embroi

Default Badges of the Mechanised Transport Corps

Hiya, here are my MTTC/MTC cap badges. These I think are a great design featuring a car tyre and crossed spanners which nicely demonstrates the role the ladies of the Corps forfilled as Driver/Mechanics.

First we have the earlier MTTC (Mechanised Transport Training Corps) badge issued from 1939. They are made of bronze metal like British Army Officers badges of the era. The Corps Motto of "Pro Patria" can be seen on a scroll at the bottom of the badge.

Cheers, Lez.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Badges of the Mechanised Transport Corps   Badges of the Mechanised Transport Corps  

Default Re: Badges of the Mechanised Transport Corps

Here is the later badge after the Corps dropped the "Training" title. The badge is the same size and quality of the previous ones. They measure about 1 inch across.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Badges of the Mechanised Transport Corps   Badges of the Mechanised Transport Corps  

Here is the bronze lapel badge for a Mechanised Transport Corps Auxiliary Member.

These were young girls who were not old enough to join the MTC proper, but learn vehicle maintainance etc in their spare time.

This is a very small badge about 1/2 an inch across. made by the top quality maker "JR Gaunt of London"

Hope you found these badges of interest?

British TV viewers might have heard of the MTC due to the drama series "Foyle's War"

Cheers, Lez.

Thanks Lez,
    I have the MTTC and MTC ones but the last one I never seen before. Out of interest how many MTC were there and do they wore the same shoulder pips as ATS for officer grades?

Hi Simon, I will answer on behalf of my good lady wife to save me signing off and giving her the PC

The MTTC was formed in 1939 by Mrs GM Cook OBE. It was an all voluntary organisation made up of part time members from women who had home ties and so could not join other full time womens services.

The name of the Corps changed to MTC in 1940.

By Feb. 1943 the Corps had 3000 members. With the advent of conscription women were drafted into it's ranks as the Corps was now officially recognised by the Ministry of War Transport.

MTC Ranks were:

Driver
    Cadet Officer
    Section Cadet Officer
    Company Cadet Officer

These were equal to the ATS ranks Pte through to Sgt.

Officers:

Ensign
    Lieutenant
    Captain
    Commander
    Commandant
    Senior Commandant
    Corps Commandant

These were equal to ATS ranks of 2nd Subaltern through to Chief Controller.

Actual photos of girls wearing any kind of rank badges seem to be rare.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Ade,

What I wish to find out was the rank insignia for MTC. I sometime see blue stripes on the left arm and on this video the CO clearly has some emblems and stripes on her shoulder but what rank she is I have no idea

BRITISH WOMEN FOR THE AFRICAN FRONT - British Pathe

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon, thanks for that footage: we had not seen that before. Great stuff!

The shoulder strap insignia is certain intriguing!

Cheers, Ade & Lez.

I had passed this video clip over to the IWM and they havent given me an answer yet and it has been over a month, this means they are having difficulty regarding the rank of this Mrs Keith Newall. However there must be at least 300 or more girls under her charge not just what is shown in the video which probably feature a single unit arriving to be greeted by her so I would say she was the "Commandant" equivelent of a "chief commander" in the ATS or "Lt Colonel" in the army.

Hi Simon, I agree, I think your educated guess would be about right.

Hopefully we will get to the bottom of this one day!

Cheers, Ade.

I found this on ebay a picture of CO Mrs Newell and I was correct about her rank. So there we have it, a blue tudor rose with two gold stripes indicate the MTC rank of Commandant.
    1940 press photo lord lloyd women's transport corps | eBay

The IWM didnt know this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast