Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

British cap badges

Article about: Hi, I'm new to the forum, and have posted some messages since last week in the german section. I collect different kind of militaria, British, Us and German. Last week I bought some cap badg

?

Default British cap badges

Hi,
    I'm new to the forum, and have posted some messages since last week in the german section.
    I collect different kind of militaria, British, Us and German.
    Last week I bought some cap badges, my first since I got a Gloucester badge from my friend.

In general I would like to ask do you ever polish them, or leave them as found, and is there a way
    to determine the age? Are there fakes like the german medals?

Here are the pictures, I think they are all reasonably common. There are two of which I have some questions.
    There is the Surrey brigade cadet badge, can't find any info on that on the internet, and the royal artillery badge,
    this one had a separately mounted wheels, is this something special or also common.
    any info is welcome, best regards Menno
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British cap badges   British cap badges  

British cap badges   British cap badges  

British cap badges  

Default Re: British cap badges

All look fine to me.

Age can be tricky to determine, as some cap badges were the same in WW1 as they were in WW2.

Britsh cap badges are widely faked: some are even struck on old original dies. But the brass used never quite looks right when they are new.

The RA cap badge with revolving wheel is not rare.

Cleaning them is a matter of personal choice. A wash in warm soapy water and clean with a old soft toothbrush will not hurt.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Default Re: British cap badges

Thanks for the info.

Menno