Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British Formation sign id needed

Article about: Hi Guys, can anyone id this one for me? Most likely post war. Thanks! Cheers, Ade.

Default British Formation sign id needed

Hi Guys, can anyone id this one for me?

Most likely post war.

Thanks!

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Formation sign id needed  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Looks similar to USA Transportation Corps badge, although this one is not familiar to me.

Indeed it is.

Any other takers?

Found in the pocket of a 49 pattern BD.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Good morning Ade,

Just out of bed between shifts and winding up my brain with weapons grade coffee and a puzzle!!

My answer is; RE (Royal Engineers) Army Emmergency Reserve Transportation Units.

British Army units from 1945 on - Regiments SR/AER

Anyone have another idea?

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 02-24-2018 at 11:20 AM. Reason: addition
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Cole in badges on battledress (P81 1953 third revised edition Gale & Polden) has it as TRANSPORTATION UNITS R.E. (SR). though does not say what the SR stands for, though Special Reserve springs to mind, though reading the link above it is Supplementary Reserve.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

And the page scanned
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Formation sign id needed  
    Regards,

Jerry

Yep, part of what folk of my vintage used to know as the TAVR (Territorial Army Volunteer Reserve) or "TA" "Terriers" and other less generous "soubriquet"

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Yep, part of what folk of my vintage used to know as the TAVR (Territorial Army Volunteer Reserve) or "TA" "Terriers" and other less generous "soubriquet"

Mark
    My dad was a terrier from the mid 1930's with service overseas during WWII and on into the mid 1950's.
    Regards,

Jerry

At one time the TAVR was bigger than the whole UK armed forces are now!

Of course in wartime the two become one to all intents and purposes as with any kind of "reserve" set up.

In units like mine we often had TA soldiers attached for particular "adventures"! They always brought skills and abilities from their own everyday employments that we would never have had. The army being what it is though we were always "ripping the p**s" out of each other and it was very good for morale and made for some brilliant post op debriefings in the bar!

Regards

Mark

Brilliant, thanks guys!