Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

British I.D tag assistance reqired

Article about: Ive allways been able to help my self with dog tag id as they are usually self explanitary,but the S/SC could mean anything,has anyone got a definitive answer or a resource to help,thanks Co

?

Quote by wrecker View Post
    It appears from reading various forums that ww1 tags were SC for church of scotland and PRES covered church of scotland in ww2 so im still none the wiser
    Here are two tags showing P and Presb weren't restricted to use in WWII.

Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20151227_14_11_35_Pro.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	163.9 KB 
ID:	918009  

Its all interestin stuff Tony.

jwp
    ?

sorry to hijack the thread, picked up this tag locally and assumed it to be ww2, was puzzled by lack of rank and regiment, the first number 1 of the serial number seems to be the wrong way round, also stamped on reverse with the initals FF. the only numbers in that sequence i can find are 100701 to 102700 Oct-Nov 1917 RFC - civilians any thoughts ??,
    cheers, John.

Name:  jjh0002.JPG
Views: 44
Size:  17.1 KBName:  jjh0003.JPG
Views: 39
Size:  17.0 KB

?

John mate, I think you might be right about it being post WWI.

Under RAF records the only man with that number is Frank Clark, a joiner who attested in 1917, but the army number search brings up the RASC
    http://www.corpsofmilitarypolice.org...r?query=100819

Now, if RAF it should have RAF stamped on the tag or at least that's what I'd have thought. From 1920 (I think?) the army stopped adding the unit to tags so, if it belonged to F. Ford RASC then it's possible the details fit for a between the wars or WWII army ID tag.

Tony

jwp
    ?

Tony, thanks very much for the info, i think you have it with the RASC, the link to the search tool is really usefull, much appreciated, John.

?

John, if you click on this link https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-december-2014 and scroll half way down the page to attachment 6, open it and search for the number on your ID tag you’ll see it confirms F Ford was RASC.

Tony

jwp
    ?

Quote by ynot View Post
    John, if you click on this link https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-december-2014 and scroll half way down the page to attachment 6, open it and search for the number on your ID tag you’ll see it confirms F Ford was RASC.

Tony
    thanks for that tony, sadly it seems i dont have the software to open the file,
    cheers, john.

?

Here you go.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	309.1 KB 
ID:	919457  

jwp
    ?

cheers tony thats brill !!, much appreciated, john.

?

I checked for G Fulton too but he didn't appear on any of the sheets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12