Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British Rescue badges???

Article about: Im assuming the R is for "rescue"?? does anyone know what service/uniform they would be on? the london one looks like a AFS/NFS badge, but i cant find anything like it. what does t

Default British Rescue badges???

Im assuming the R is for "rescue"??
    does anyone know what service/uniform they would be on?

the london one looks like a AFS/NFS badge, but i cant find anything like it.

what does the BE stand for??

any help appreciated as always.
    kind regards
    Ed

British Rescue badges???British Rescue badges???

?

If they are Civil Defence Jon Mills Book will most likely identify them.

Books by John Mills

Quote by M1910 View Post
    If they are Civil Defence Jon Mills Book will most likely identify them.

Books by John Mills
    Thanks for that, I've been after jons "Uniforms and insignia of the ARP and Civil Defence 1939-45" for quite a while. Unfortunatly its out of print and it seems impossible to find.

Whilst I'm more of a helmet kinda guy I do tend to keep the works of the great man to hand....

The "London" marked one is definitely Rescue - there are several period photos (which I cant seem to find) of this badge being worn on the chest and also in signage form (usual behind the Rescue team in a group photo...which I also can't find....aaaaaghhhh!!!!). The "R" badge is listed (and shown in Jon's book) as an "LCC Rescue Service unofficial beret badge". It's the "B.E" one that's getting me...the only "BE" I've come across is Borough Engineer...he was one of the top dogs, the big men, the head cheese, the numero uno honcho when it came to "Rescue"...but these guys usually turned up in unbadged tweed jackets, shiny immaculate helmets and usually with the King or Churchill in tow on a visit...I don't recall seeing a pic of a Borough Engineer or Surveyor gettin' down and dirty in a the traditional boiler suit......but it COULD be that......or something even like "Bexley - East" or similar.....but now I'm at risk of turning into one of the annoying "don't-have-a-clue-but-I'll-take-a-guess-by-trying-to-find-words-that-fit-these-initials-even-if-the-result-makes-no-bleedin'-sense-whatsoever" brigade.....so I'll stop there....

OK so I only helped with 2....but 2 outa 3 ain't bad...... :-)....JM will be along shortly to correct me I'm sure.

Finally, are you related to the Banana McMafia family we're seeing so much of on BBC at the mo?

?

I got a copy within the last 6 months so disappointing to hear if he has now run out. I don't know if there are contractual issues stopping him producing any more of his books but they are all effectively home published and spiral bound and a copy could be run off in minutes. The Home Guard Book has been unavailable for years and is the bible on the subject. Nothing else has the detail in it.

Jon writes on the British Military Badge Forum and will comment on any posts there.

Quote by Composite View Post
    OK so I only helped with 2....but 2 outa 3 ain't bad...... :-)....JM will be along shortly to correct me I'm sure.

Finally, are you related to the Banana McMafia family we're seeing so much of on BBC at the mo?
    Many Thanks Compo, i appreciate the info and pointers, great help as always!
    p.s. there is no McMafia connection in the Bananamafia household.....

Quote by M1910 View Post
    I got a copy within the last 6 months so disappointing to hear if he has now run out...
    ...Jon writes on the British Military Badge Forum and will comment on any posts there.
    Thanks for that. I thought it was out of print as the email adress on the link composite kindly showed is no longer in service, and hasnt been for a long time.
    It was on the British badge Forum that i saw his comment about it being out of print:
    Seeking John Mills Civil Defence Book? - British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

It is nice to hear that you managed to get a copy recently, I will certainly try again. Thank you for the pointer.