Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

British Territorial Army lapel badge

Article about: Hi Guys, this is a badge from my collection. I think it will be pre war? The TA (Similar to the US National Guard) was made up of volunteers who served one night a week and some weekends. Th

Default British Territorial Army lapel badge

Hi Guys, this is a badge from my collection. I think it will be pre war?

The TA (Similar to the US National Guard) was made up of volunteers who served one night a week and some weekends. These men formed the cadre of many units at the outbreak of war in 1939.

The badge is serial numbered for accountabilty on the reverse.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Territorial Army lapel badge   British Territorial Army lapel badge  

Default Re: British Territorial Army lapel badge

Hi Adrian,

Formation of the Territorial Force
    In 1907 Parliament passed legislation which saw the consolidation of the yeomanry and volunteers into the Territorial Force. The first units were stood up on 1st April 1908, and this date is accepted as the birth of what we know today as the Territorial Army.
    The Territorial Force was mobilised in August 1914, its soldiers fighting alongside, and indistinguishable from, the Regular Army. Upon demobilisation in 1918 Territorial Force units were disbanded, but were reconstituted in 1920 as the part-time Territorial Army.

The Territorial Army in 1939
    As war clouds loomed over Europe in the early months of 1939, the Government authorized the 'duplication' of all Territorial Army units, thereby doubling the size of the TA.
    On the outbreak of hostilities in September 1939, the Territorial Army was mobilized and its units absorbed into the British Army. When the Army demobilised in 1946 the TA was temporarily suspended, but was reconstituted in 1947as a part-time reservist force similar to its pre-1939 structure.

The Cold War Years
    During the 1950s and 1960s the Government allowed the Territorial Army to become seriously under-manned and poorly-equipped. In 1967 a poorly-advised and heavy-handed attempt at reinvigorating the reserves led to a virtual abolition of the regimental system among the reserves.
    Realising the error of its ways, the government set out in 1971 to increase the size of the reserves, creating many new battalions. Subsequent expansions and reorganizations over the following 20 years meant that, by the early 1990s, the regimental system was almost totally re-established.
    Throughout this period of fluctuating fortunes, the Territorial Army was never regarded as a particularly useable or effective force, either by the Government of the day or by the Regular Army. With the image of a 'force of last resort', its role was, at least unofficially, seen as home defence.

Recent cutbacks
    In 1998 the Labour Government announced what it called the 'Strategic Defence Review', which would make the Army more relevant and effective in meeting the demands of the post-Cold War era and the 21st century.
    The Territorial Army was the hardest-hit and within it, the infantry suffered most with 87 companies in 33 battalions reducing to 67 companies in 15 battalions. While the measures allowed for at least one company from each of the 33 battalions to survive to continue their regiments' identities, the result was that thousands of experienced and loyal personnel had their service terminated.

A New Purpose
    The final years of the 1990s and the turn of the Millennium saw the Territorial Army assume a more high-profile role. As the Regular Army became increasingly engaged in overseas operations, the TA moved from being a 'force of last resort' to become the 'reserve of first choice' in supporting the Regulars. Some 6900 personnel were mobilised for Operation TELIC, the invasion of Iraq, and the TA continues to provide around 1,200 troops each year to support the Regular Army in Iraq, Afghanistan and the Balkans.
    In 2004 the Government announced a radical restructuring of the Army, leading to the realignment of the TA as reserves of the regular regiments. Under TA Rebalancing, 15 TA infantry battalions were reduced to 14, but the overall strength of the force remained the same

We at present time supply 10% of Troops heading to Afghanistan....

Your badge was indeed issued in the 1920,s to 1930's (will get back with the exact date) but only by some Units, issued as a Civi dress lapel badge and was not worn on uniform as the uniform worn was as the same as the Snr Regular Army Units ie TA Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders wore the same as the Regular Argyll Battalions etc .

BBC - WW2 People's War - 1930s Territorial Army

A link to someone who was issued one...

Regards

TN

Hi TN, nice post. Thank you! I enjoyed the link with the Veteran's story especially.

I had always suspected the badge was pre war.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade,
    Nice T.A, badge you have there im not sure if i have seen one before,
    i have seen something like it. People tend to forget about the T.A,
    but they have done a great job all the years they have been formed.
    My dad joined the T.A, in 1927, and when the war broke out he was went straight in to service with the Royal Artillery, he was discharged in 45, and in 1948 he rejoined the T.A, and went into the R.E, in 1976, The T.A, title was finalized into the T.A.V.R,.
    Dave,

TheNewes
    ?

Hi, my dad has found a lapel badge like the one pictured and he wants to know if it is possible to identify the regiment or even the person from the number on the back of the badge. The number on his is 173914 - Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I am not aware of any lists of the accountability numbers used on these badges?

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Here's my TA badge along with a few similar items. Any more info would be appreciated.

?

Hi guys and girls.

I'm usually the one for resurrecting old posts/discussions, but, for once I will.

I picked up a nice one of these at my local market this morning along with a Kings Crown Royal Observer Corps lapel badge, (£13 the pair!)
    These go very nicely with my "National Reserve: West Riding of York" lapel badge which I have had for the better part of 30 years!

Photo's of all three will be posted on the forum sometime over the next few days.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

?

OK, as promised above, here are a couple of pics of mine.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Territorial Army lapel badge   British Territorial Army lapel badge  

British Territorial Army lapel badge