Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British Trade/Specialty badges, Black backed with gold bullion thread?

Article about: Hello, I have these patches. I was wondering why they are gold with a black backing. I know the top is Radio, SMG is Sub Machine Gun, and AT is of course Anti Tank. But why the black backing

Default British Trade/Specialty badges, Black backed with gold bullion thread?

Hello,

I have these patches. I was wondering why they are gold with a black backing.

I know the top is Radio, SMG is Sub Machine Gun, and AT is of course Anti Tank. But why the black backing? I've seen green and red, but never black. Thanks!

British Trade/Specialty badges, Black backed with gold bullion thread?

Possibly for an officers dress uniform, i do not know to much about British patches but i have dealt in US Patch's. Most of the Bullion gold on black patches were on officers uniforms, or privately commissioned by soldiers. Hope that helps a little !

They all look very dark blue on my screen and I would assume they are for the No.1 Blues uniform.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    They all look very dark blue on my screen and I would assume they are for the No.1 Blues uniform.
    I tend to agree. Also officers in the British Army don't wear trade or "special to arm" badges, not to be confused with aircrew/pilot and para wings or bomb disposal badges.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Jerry has hit on the head.
    If they are dark blue backing, and they certainly look it on my screen as well, they are for wear on the No1 Dress blues.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

They could well be dark blue, I am quite colorblind so hey. Cheers and thanks for the help! I will post a few more badges up soon.