Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Can you identify this patch?

Article about: This patch is from my father's box of WWII items. There may be some clues in this description. He arrived in Australia in the Fall of 1942. He was at Warwick Farms/Camp Warwick near Sydney a

B36
    ?

Default Can you identify this patch?

This patch is from my father's box of WWII items. There may be some clues in this description. He arrived in Australia in the Fall of 1942. He was at Warwick Farms/Camp Warwick near Sydney and then volunteered for the 62nd Quartermaster Pack Troop, 41st Infantry Division. He was in Townsville for most of 1943. In November it was decided horses were not suitable for service in New guinea. He was in New Guinea in 1944 with the 343rd Quartermaster Depot at Oro Bay. He was in the Philippines with the 343rd and the 150th Field Artillery, 38th Infantry Division in 1945. This patch is about 3 1/4" wide and 3 1/4" high. Note that at one time there was a "30" under the "WA". The needle holes for the numbers are perfectly shaped done by machine. The shield shape is very similar to the WWII US Port of Embarkation patch.
    Thanks,
    Rich.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can you identify this patch?  

Hi Rich

At first glance this doesn't look military.

This is felt on felt which looks more 1920's 30's US High School patch. Below WA there looks like an outline of a 3 and O and stitch holes.

Do you know your fathers High school?

Phill

B36
    ?

Hi Phill, he only had an eight grade education. (Very successful though.) I always thought it was Australian with the stacked felt construction but the Australian guys say no. I'm starting to wonder if it's military too.
    Rich.

Hi Rich

There were a lot of High schools , High school ROTC felt on felt , embroidered on from the 1920's to 40's , hopefully some one will do a book on these patches ,they would far out seed any military patches for sure.
    Some have become confused with as an example the pre war 45th Div (Oklahoma NG) "Swastika" patch that was later changed to a Thunderbird design and there have been at least 4 US high schools with the same design but different colors during the 20's and 30's.

Still he must of had some connection along the way an interesting mystery!!

Phill

MAP
    ?

Was he part of any fraternal organizations or maybe some auxiliary type of positions (Police)?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

B36
    ?

MAP, no organizations that I know about other than his church.

In the 30's 40's , Washington State code was WA , pre 1926 it was WASH/WN approved by war department but that doesn't have a bearing on the patch.

Phill

B36
    ?

Phill, he met a girl in Sydney. I have her picture and address. I remember we received a Christmas card from Australia in the 1960's. He said he was thinking about making a trip back to Australia just before he died in 1984. He was in the Signal Corps when he arrived at Camp Warwick. I have wondered if they met there or maybe worked together. Women's Auxiliary, Women's Army, Warwick Australia. Men and supplies shipped out of Camp Warwick. (Also known as HMS Golden Hind) Port of Embarkation connection? I'm just guessing? He wasn't a collector so I'm thinking he had a personal connection with this patch. He grew up during the Depression. People were important. Material things were not. I'll probably never find out but it is fun searching.
    Thanks again,
    Rich.

Hi Rich

If I start from the beginning of your thread, your father served in the 41st ID (Jungleer , Sunsetters).

The Division during WWII was made up of National Guard units from Idaho, Montana,Oregon , Wyoming and Washington.

62nd QM Co. was activated in August 1942 Seattle Washington. Re below

Constituted 23 July 1942 as Company B, 275th Quartermaster Service Battalion

Activated 1 August 1942 at Seattle, Washington

Reorganized and re-designed 20 Sep as the 3228th Quartermaster Service Company

Inactivated 27 February 1946 at Camp George Jordan, Seattle, Washington.

I think at this stage everything points towards US and now W A does have a bearing on the patch.

Incidentally were you part of Project Rapid fire (B-36) ?

Phill

B36
    ?

Hi Phill, a Washington connection is as good a guess as any. I didn't do much searching in that direction because my father wasn't with the 41st in the states. The 41st arrived in Australia in April and May 1942. My father was from Minnesota and drafted in April 1942. I have a letter addressed to Warwick Farms postmarked November 10 1942. I have the 41st Inf book. It says the 167th Artillery Battalion was sent to Townsville in January 1943 where it became a horse-drawn, pack outfit. The 61st, 62nd and 68th Quartermaster Pack Troops were activated and organized locally and provided with Australian horses. (United States Army Veterinary Service in WWII.) My father told me the army requested volunteers with horse experience.
    B36- Bravo Company, 3rd Battalion, 6th Infantry. Berlin Brigade. 1973-74
    Thanks for you help Phill,
    Rich.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast