Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

D-Day Insignia Display

Article about: Hi Folks, I've decided to take my D-Day American airborne display and expand it into a display of the insignia worn by all of the American units that invaded France on June 6th, 1944. Here a

Default D-Day Insignia Display

Hi Folks,

I've decided to take my D-Day American airborne display and expand it into a display of the insignia worn by all of the American units that invaded France on June 6th, 1944.

Here are my airborne pieces of airborne insignia. It should be noted that the 101st patch is one of the mysterious variants that may or may not be WWII vintage... I'll eventually add a guaranteed WWII vintage version.
    D-Day Insignia DisplayD-Day Insignia Display

With the help of WRF member Josh and James at Topkick Militaria, I've added these patches representing the 1st, 4th, 90th Infantry Divisions:

D-Day Insignia DisplayD-Day Insignia DisplayD-Day Insignia DisplayD-Day Insignia DisplayD-Day Insignia DisplayD-Day Insignia DisplayD-Day Insignia DisplayD-Day Insignia Display

James is also helping me find a 29th Infantry Division patch.

I've been thinking about acquiring a map of Normandy, or specifically the landing beaches to serve as the backing for my display case used in this grouping.

Does anyone know if the scroll patch tabs for the 2nd and 5th Rangers were worn on D-Day, or was that tab a late war, or dress uniform only piece of insignia?

In the future, I may add the insignia that represents the British, Canadian, Polish, etc. units that invaded as well. Can anyone comment on the availability/ cost of the insignia of these units?

Also, if anyone can help me out with ideas for this display, or clue me in on units that I've overlooked for my display, I'd really appreciate it!

Default Re: D-Day Insignia Display

You ought to find the British and Canadian patches too.

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    You ought to find the British and Canadian patches too.
    My intention was to put together a group of the American units' insignia first... but if I can find insignia from the other allied nations involved with relative ease, I might as well!

?

Joe very nice start can't wait to see the finished display . Gary

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    Joe very nice start can't wait to see the finished display . Gary
    Thanks, Gary!

I'm going to need some major help with the non-American unit insignia! Help, Ade!

Nice idea! I am sure I can help re the British patches.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks, Ade!

I guess because I am American and am more familiar with U.S. military terms, It has been pretty easy for me to nail down what insignia I need to represent the U.S. units that took part in the June 6th landings.

Things have been more difficult for me in terms of the British units. I'm still clueless as to who took part in the initial wave of the invasion versus who landed on D+1 and beyond. As of right now, I only know of the 6th Airborne, Pegasus Division's involvement.

I apologize for my lack of knowledge!

If you could also comment on what to expect in terms of pricing for British unit insignia and where to find them, I'd really appreciate it!

These arrived a few days ago...

Just waiting on the 4th ID patch and then I'll have all the Americans represented, I do believe!

D-Day Insignia DisplayD-Day Insignia Display

1st ID and 90th are uniform-removed. The 1st ID is also a rarer green-backed version.

Here is the display as it stands today:

D-Day Insignia Display

Kind of very... busy...

If you know of any other Allied Divisions that went ashore
    on D-Day, I will keep an eye out for you.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast