Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Early ATS Officers rank insignia

Article about: Hiya, in the early days of the ATS, Officers did not wear conventional rank "pips". Instead they wore these specially designed rank stars. The first issues were Bronze as seen here

Default Early ATS Officers rank insignia

Hiya, in the early days of the ATS, Officers did not wear conventional rank "pips". Instead they wore these specially designed rank stars.

The first issues were Bronze as seen here, while later ones were Gilt metal. These are very hard to find as they were only worn from 1938 when the ATS was first formed until Feb 1940. The gilt versions were worn until June 1941.

This design of rank star was replaced due to the fact that ATS officers were not being saluted by the male rank and file as few soldiers recognised them as Officers due to these unusual rank badges. So conventional rank "pips" as worn by their male counterparts were introduced in 1941. I have listed the ranks here, 1938 to 40 first, followed by the post 41 rank and in brackets the equivilant male Army rank.

Company Assistant or 2nd Subaltern wore one star (2nd Lt)
    Junior Commander or Subaltern wore two stars (Lt)
    Company Commander or Junior Commandant wore three stars. (Captain)

On 9 May 1941, the ATS rank structure was reorganized, from July 1941 the ATS was given full military status and members were no longer volunteers. Other Ranks now held identical ranks to male Army personnel, but officers continued to have a separate rank system.

Cheers, Lez.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early ATS Officers rank insignia  

Default Re: Early ATS Officers rank insignia

Bringing this old post by my wife Lez back up, as at the weekend we were at Military Odyssey and I was lucky enough to spot of another pair of these rare rank stars for sale. A quick haggle with the dealer and they are now in Lez's collection. £2.50 I guess he did not know what they were...

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early ATS Officers rank insignia  

Hiya, just managed to buy another peice of early ATS rank insignia. This is the coronet style Crown worn by ATS Senior Commanders (Major). Also worn by higher ranks in conjunction with the rank stars shown above. Like the rank stars, first worn in bronze 1938 -1940, then later in gilt finish from Feb 1940 until June 1941.

Cheers, Lez.
    Attached Images Attached Images Early ATS Officers rank insignia  Early ATS Officers rank insignia 

Hiya, anyone else got any of these?

Cheers, Lez.

?

Do you know why they adopted their own system of ranks in 1941?

Hi Luc, you might recognise the coronet crown as you put Lez wise to it's sale.

The whole early ranking system was messy and really a failure I think. The adoption of conventional ranks and titles was completed with the new ATS regulations of 1941. Lez has a copy of the ATS Service Regulations book. It is a really nice book and the owner very carefully amended it pasting in new sections, crossing out old, etc. I will get her to show it.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Fab insignia. I will now keep an eye out for them
    on this side of the pond.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    you put Lez wise to it's sale.
    I remember now, I never knew she won the auction.

I got a pair of bronze ATS officer leaf the size of a cap badge but without the crown and ATS logo.

Please show it!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast