Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Elephant badge, one for Ade

Article about: This stick pin came with the luft dagger i posted. I've posted it here because there doesn't seem to be a slot for it. Please delete or move if required. Its an elephant on the rampage under

OKW
    ?

Default Elephant badge, one for Ade

This stick pin came with the luft dagger i posted. I've posted it here because there doesn't seem to be a slot for it. Please delete or move if required. Its an elephant on the rampage under a palm tree. It has to my mind african connections and i'm unsure if its axis or allied or indeed war related but hope someone with the knowledge, Ade, can give a pointer as to what it represents, Afrika Korps or a sub unit there of or 8th army/ desert rats?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Elephant badge, one for Ade  

Default Re: Elephant badge, one for Ade

Never seen the like of it before, so I don't have a clue!

Various British and Indian Regts used Elephants as insignia but nothing combinded with a palm tree.

Cheers, Ade.

OKW,

Looking in the net, I found this:

CoinArchives.com Lot Viewer

So it seems to be a british african colonies logo of some type. Interesting, in any case.

Regards,

Gus
    Attached Images Attached Images Elephant badge, one for Ade 

OKW
    ?

Well spotted, thats the beast. There were Allied forces stationed around this area during ww2 providing aerial cover over the atlantic to deter u-boat operations by closing the gap. I spoke to one erk who had done his full war service there and it almost drove him mad. There was nothing to do or see once your work was done and no other person bar his service opo's to talk to for miles about. No alcohol either or members of the opposite sex! for 4 years. For which he was awarded the 39-45 star and war medal.

Droroin
    ?

I am furtunate to have inderitated the same type of pin off my grandfarther from his service in WW II. From his stories I understand he gained it whilst out in africa around the gold coast area. I also have a regiment badge which is a palm and on the banner below are the letters RWAFF.

I know he served in the artillary and interested in trying to find out more where i can.

Droroin
    ?

Following on from my previous post this web link maybe of interest RWAFF

Hi OKW,

This pin is generic for three British protectorates in Africa until their independance at dates shown where upon they adopted their own coats of arms.

Gold coast (now Ghana) until 1957

Sierra Leone until 1961

Gambia until 1964

They often had the initials G.C, S.L or G to indicate the exact country, but, as in this case , not all the time.

Regards, Ned.

The Elephant and Palm tree are taken from the coat of arms for the Gold Coast. Your badge is I think, a souvineer rather than a regimental badge. John.

Hi John,

The badge is not a souvenir. It would have been worn by members of staff of the British protectorate/ consulate and, in some cases, their dependants. In no way is this badge connected with any form of the military in any of the 3 countries i have already associated it with. This is purely a colonial badge, or rather, a distant reminder thereof.

Kind Regards, Ned.

OKW
    ?

Thanks for your replies

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast