Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Found in the loft.

Article about: Hi all. Found these in the loft. probably collected by my father years ago. I have a vague idea of what they are, but not much. Any help would be appreciated. I don't like to talk value, but

Default Re: Found in the loft.

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    The mostly white one is a Royal Navy Ensign, the anchor one is what's known as the Government Service Ensign, flown by warships when no other ensign is appropriate, such as during trials etc. The Union Jack speaks for itself. Cool find. Value is tricky, £30 a piece? Maybe a smidge more.

Edit; if the blue flag with anchor is dated during wartime, it will be for Royal Fleet Auxiliary Service vessels not the Gov't Service Ensign. Same flag design, different name and use in later years.
    There does not seem to be a date on the blue flag. I will look more closely.

Brian.

Cool find, the white ensign for the RN is very cool, 42 dated and might go for a bit more than Andy suggested, but he is pretty much on the money I think.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by bgriggsy View Post
    There does not seem to be a date on the blue flag. I will look more closely.

Brian.
    As Andy stated, it does match with the Government Service Ensign, I would hazard a guess that its ww2 issue, looking at it, but its just a guess, is it of similar material and construction ? I like 1942 dated ensign

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    no no no, I just sell their gear when they are finished with it
    Sounds cool Andy, very handy when you are into this hobby !! Working with some Navy folk next week so may ask them for some opinions

Brian

Back home now, missed the snow!! Love the RN Ensign, thanks for the trade!! Since working up in Barrow I am becoming more and more interested in our WW2 Maritime exploits, will take it up there with me next week, let some of the old guys have a look, I am sure they will appreciate it !! May stop off in the Dock Museum let them have a look also, off up to Scotland in the next couple of weeks, will take it up there also, I am sure some of the guys will like to see it !! Cheers M

EDIT

From some research, its made from wool, and is most likely from a Battleship , size ect, damn it we dont know which one !!

Just for your interest, same flag flown from HMS Rodney in the 30's, same size, same wool construction.....

Just a quick update for future referance

Talking with some Navy folk today, the blue flag which started this thread is a Government Service Ensign, with horizonatal anchor.

Its mainly flown on un-commissioned vessels.

Was looking at a lovely picture of the future HMS Astute at the time, displaying the very same flag, was unable to take a picture to display here

EDIT: Just reading my post, was late when I made it, it was an old picture, obviously Asute was commissioned a few years ago !
    Last edited by Totenhead; 02-16-2013 at 12:07 PM.

For your interest, here is a picture of the Ensign in use on one of our recent new Subs before she was commissioned, undergoing sea trials.
    The Ensign is mainly flown aboard vessels before they are commissioned

Cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Found in the loft.   Found in the loft.  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2