Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Francois Salluyts

Article about: Some time last year I was asked by a friend of the family, the widow of Francois, to write up a short piece based on Francois's diary entries - of his service in the 1st Belgian Armoured Car

Default Francois Salluyts

Some time last year I was asked by a friend of the family, the widow of Francois, to write up a short piece based on Francois's diary entries - of his service in the 1st Belgian Armoured Car Squadron. Francois had fled to England in May 1940 with a group of teenagers - he himself was only 17. The small group were taken on board a ship at Dunkerque and succeeded in reaching England. He eventually joined a Belgian armoured car unit which was forming in Beccles and saw action in Normandy. As well as liberating the village of Dozule, his unit was also involved in the liberation of Brussels and the freeing of the Dutch Queen - whom Francois said; "hugged and kissed every one of us."

Francois Salluyts Francois Salluyts

The newspaper article which covered the commemoration events in 2004

Cynthia was Francois's second wife, and was herself a widow when she met him. They eventually married, but they only had four years together when Francois passed away. It was then that Cynthia moved up to Warrington. I only got to know her through her involvement with the local disability awareness where she helped out - and where my daughter and son-in-law dealt with the PR side of the organisation for free. I finished the piece on Francois for her and sent it to her computer as a file for her to do as she wished. We kept in touch and phoned each other occasionally, and then for a few months I heard nothing from her. And then last Thursday she got in touch and asked me if I could send the file to her again. Well I did better than that and I printed it off for her, added photographs to it and made it into a small booklet. We arranged to meet last Friday at the local primary school where my granddaughter was taking part in the school sports. The offices where Cynthia helped out were only next door to the school, so it was no big problem for her.

I arrived at the school with my wife and gave her the document and she handed me a large bag and said: "This is for you." When we got home I had a look inside. There was a bottle of 'Jura' 10 year-old malt whisky and a bottle of Francois's favourite red wine. There was also an old (faded) blue kit bag.

Francois SalluytsFrancois Salluyts

Inside was Francois's medals, a civilian award and the 'Belgian Army In United Kingdom' medal. Apologies for this, but I forgot to photograph the reverse - which has the outline of the south coast and northern France with 'London' and 'Brussels' indicated on the map. The gold commemorative medal was presented to Francois at the 60th anniversary celebrations at Normandy. Francois was also given the honour of dedicating the memorial erected at the village he helped liberate in 1944. The picture below shows him giving his speech at Dozule. The other picture is of the meal held in their honour later that day. The book was presented to Francois (in the 1980's) by Lieutenant-General Roger Dewandre - who also signed and dedicated the copy.

Francois SalluytsFrancois Salluyts Francois SalluytsFrancois Salluyts

The cut-throat razor just visible in the picture of his belongings was one he carried throughout his military career. Francois moved to the Belgian Congo after the war where he settled with his first wife. He used to tell Cynthia of some of his involvement with the mercenaries who were operating in the area near his farm in the 1960's. And after his first wife's life was saved by Jean "Mad Jack" Schramme during an attack by rebels, he started to help the mercenaries by smuggling 'important people' in and out of the country. There were other things he did too, but he never revealed what it was to Cynthia. Schramme presented Francois with a shoulder patch of 'COMMANDO KANSIMBA' which I am informed is an extremely rare and sought-after item. The provenance of this patch is absolutely cast-iron. Since receiving it last Friday I have done a little research, and apparently it is of the first type. These are heavily faked, and even the so-called 'genuine' examples I found on the internet, lack the detail of this patch. This has spent all its life in a small plastic frame and was displayed with great pride by Francois on his mantlepiece. I have to say that I was quite taken aback when Cynthia gave me these treasured items.

Cheers,
    Steve.

Francois SalluytsFrancois SalluytsFrancois Salluyts

Excellent story behind the man. Thank you for sharing this wonderful collection Harry!

There is so much more militaria to collect besides swaz embossed pieces.

CBH
    ?

Thanks Steve for sharing this wonderful story and great collection, your kindness was rewarded.

I'm sure Kris would love to see these items.

The patch is gorgeous! A great deal of time to stitch

There is actually more to the collection, all paperwork though, but Cynthia has kept hold of it for the time-being. There are more diaries too, but they are written in a very spidery handwriting - and in Flemish. I'll tag a bit of his story to this.

The first three pages of the short story... Francois wrote english as he spoke it - in a fractured sort of way. I have tried to keep the flavour of his diary entries, but changes did have to be made to make sense of it. The three pages are scans of the document, apologies for the quality of the print... my printer is critically low on ink! If you click on each page it should expand.

Cheers,
    Steve.

Francois SalluytsFrancois SalluytsFrancois Salluyts

Well done Steve!
    Karma works both ways.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Missed this somehow...
    Great find, I am (very!)jealous! :-)
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

I find the 'Belgian Army In United Kingdom' medal quiet interesting !
    Never saw one before.
    Tried to google it, but nothing came up....

cheers
    |<ris

Smile

Quote by stuka f View Post
    ...., I am (very!)jealous! :-)
    I am healed!!
    Thanks a lot Steve (and to the widow of François)!
    Makes me the keeper of the treasure for my coming time.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Francois Salluyts  

cheers
    |<ris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast