Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Glider troops patch

Article about: Any thoughts on this one? Date of manufacture and issue would be good. I am sure it is an original, just not sure if WWII or post war. Thanks

Default Glider troops patch

Any thoughts on this one? Date of manufacture and issue would be good. I am sure it is an original, just not sure if WWII or post war.

Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Glider troops patch   Glider troops patch  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Default Re: Glider troops patch

Hi Jerry, this is the post war commemorative traditions patch worn on the right sleeve.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I thought you would be the man to know the answer Ade, thanks very much for your expertise

I thought it might be post war, as I could not find it in the list of war time patches and also because it came with a late 40's EARLY 50'S desert rat patch ( two I have now, but both facing the same way, DOH!!!). Only cost about £6 for the two patches, so no problem and they look nice, even if not WWII.

Who by and when would this patch have been worn?
    Regards,

Jerry

Worn by any Regt's, who were Glider born in WW2. Border Regt, Kings Own Scottish Borderers, South Staffs, etc, etc. Sometimes these traditions patchs were actually incorporated into the shoulder title.

Established in 1949 if I remember correctly.

Still worn today I think.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Many thanks again Ade, good info. On another forum, it was suggested that it was introduced circa 1960.
    Regards,

Jerry

Hi Jerry, the subject of a special glider distinction was actually first proposed in 1946 when the various glider borne units reverted to being regular Infantry. Checked up and I was correct in saying 1949 when the King authorised the badge in various forms.

So 1960 would not be wrong in reference to this particular style, as it was worn on No.2 Dress and the Woolen Pullover.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks again Ade, for answering my questions with a full explanation and documented proof, wonderful
    Regards,

Jerry