Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Handful of British badges

Article about: Hi guys, I have a few badges I'd appreciate some comments on. I'm pretty sure the ones at the top are originals and the bottom copies or modern. Is the tally remnant WW2 vintage? The Artille

Default Handful of British badges

Hi guys, I have a few badges I'd appreciate some comments on. I'm pretty sure the ones at the top are originals and the bottom copies or modern. Is the tally remnant WW2 vintage?

The Artillery badge is about an inch across, and has a maker mark I could not photograph of K.W {something} Ltd

VDC I am not familiar with at all, detail on the crown is a lot better than I could capture with the camera.

Handful of British badgesHandful of British badgesHandful of British badgesHandful of British badgesHandful of British badgesHandful of British badges

Thanks for any comments

Default re: Handful of British badges

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    The Artillery badge is about an inch across, and has a maker mark I could not photograph of K.W {something} Ltd

VDC I am not familiar with at all, detail on the crown is a lot better than I could capture with the camera.
    The Artillery badge is a sweetheart brooch. VDC is actually VDG - 5th Dragoon Guards

Rob

Agree with Rob as per.

I reckon you have pretty much summed it up. The bottom row are modern and/or copies.

The cap tally I cannot comment on: sadly RN stuff I can write my knowledge onto a postage stamp and have room to spare.....

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post

The cap tally I cannot comment on: sadly RN stuff I can write my knowledge onto a postage stamp and have room to spare.....

Cheers, Ade.
    Me too. It would probably in fact, simply say 'Boats'.

Thanks for the confirmation of the rest.

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    The Artillery badge is a sweetheart brooch. VDC is actually VDG - 5th Dragoon Guards

Rob
    Thanks Rob, I see the G now. Doh!

HMS Iron Duke was a Battleship and Jellicoe's flagship at the Battle of Jutland. Acording to Wikipedia, she was built in 1912 and scrapped in 1946. Has to be the same boat.

Rob

Oh.. and one more thing, the Welsh Guards badge is actually a shoulder title, not a cap badge. It has those 'hexagon' lugs on the back, which you never find on cap badges, only titles

Rob

The Black Watch Cap Badge on the bottom row, second from the left is a modern one as you thought, however its worth hanging onto as the Black Watch is no more so maybe one day it will become quite collectable. The "Air Training Corps" (or air cadets as they're know to most) looks to be quite old, but it could have just never seen any brasso I'm not too sure when the cap badges were introduced however the ATC has been around since the early 1940's.

Thanks

Danny

Default Re: Handful of British badges

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    HMS Iron Duke was a Battleship and Jellicoe's flagship at the Battle of Jutland. Acording to Wikipedia, she was built in 1912 and scrapped in 1946. Has to be the same boat.

Rob
    Well that's pretty cool, cheers for the info

Default Re: Handful of British badges

Cheers for the help Danny, the ATC badge is pretty old I think. I'll be selling these soon but I actually have a stash of modern badges that are no more, QLR, BW etc. In a few years I'll trade them for an SS helmet