Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help identify British insignia found in Latvia!

Article about: These badges were dug out in south-eastern Latvia, I believe they are British from Latvia freedom fights in 1919.

Default Help identify British insignia found in Latvia!

These badges were dug out in south-eastern Latvia, I believe they are British from Latvia freedom fights in 1919.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help identify British insignia found in Latvia!   Help identify British insignia found in Latvia!  

Help identify British insignia found in Latvia!   Help identify British insignia found in Latvia!  

Default Re: Help identify British insignia found in Latvia!

The first one is for the "Girl Guides". Really odd how that ended up there! Female version of the Boy Scouts.

The RA is a Royal Artillery shoulder title. WW1 era but worn until WW2 on service dress.

RAMC is Royal Army Medical Corps. Same as above.

The anchor I don't know.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Girl Guides - Ade is correct on the other two.
    Don't know the anchor.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    The RA is a Royal Artillery shoulder title. WW1 era but worn until WW2 on service dress.
    Not quite right on that one, Ade. The letters RA as a shoulder title were not used during WWI except in extremely rare circumstances. At the time most gunners wore RFA, RGA, RHA etc. It's really a post-1924 title, used up until (and during) WW2 on service dress.

Rob

Hi Rob, you are right. I ought to have been a bit clearer.

Beats me how they ended up there...

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi Rob, you are right. I ought to have been a bit clearer.

Beats me how they ended up there...

Cheers, Ade.
    Yes, weird place to find them.

Rob

PS there are also examples of the RA title used on Full Dress and Battledress too 1924-1945, but not really relevant to this

I reckon the RA title got used more than any other in WW2. I have a Officers SD jacket with them on. Totally non reg of course. I think I have showed it on the forum. Came from the family locally.

Cheers, Ade.

I reckon the RA title got used more than any other in WW2. I have a Officers SD jacket with them on. Totally non reg of course. I think I have showed it on the forum. Came from the family locally.

Cheers, Ade.
    Royal Artillery insignia is probably best summed up by the term 'non reg' If you go into the intricacies of their unit insignia, individual unit practices wearing their normal badges and then add on the legacy badges of all those cavalry and infantry units converted to RA you could study it for a lifetime and never work it out. I think that's the reason I find them so fascinating, along with the wonderfully technical nature of their work

Rob

That guides badge is a long way from home.

A good example is the 181st Field Regiment in WW2. This was formed from the 6th Bn, King's Shropshire Light Infantry and served with the 15th (Scottish) Division. They wore a yellow on green light infantry bugle on their arms, to show their KSLI origin, and wore the RA grenade badge and flash on a Scottish Tam-o-Shanter

Rob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast