MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Help need with British badge

Article about: Picked up this on the Fea market and can't it anywhere , Thank you for any help

Default Help need with British badge

Picked up this on the Fea market and can't find it anywhere , There are no fittings on the rear of the badge ,Thank you for any help
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help need with British badge   Help need with British badge  

This would be a great find on a flea market if it were original but sadly I am pretty sure it isn't.

It purports to be a shako plate for the British 1812 pattern shako also sometimes known as the "Waterloo" shako (of course the battle of Waterloo was 1815 it is just that this pattern is mostly famous for that battle). It represents the "general" pattern of plate whereas regimental types bore the regimental number and or other distinctive devices such as a rose, sphinx or Prince of Wales's feathers for example. The cypher on the middle is GR for King George IV. An in hand inspection by somebody who has experience of the real thing would tell for sure but for me looking at these images it is a modern copy. As for the chin scales, I have no idea but they do look too heavy for anything other than a metal type cavarlry (or fire brigade) helmet. They are not appropriate for the 1812 shako for sure.

Here is a picture of a repro shako to illustrate what is being currently produced.

Help need with British badge

I don't collect this kind of item as they are too expensive for me but this reply is based on general knowledge of militaria which I do study as well as collecting. So, please if anyone else has more to add do chime in.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 11-22-2017 at 08:36 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

The detail on the crown looks very poorly cast.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    The detail on the crown looks very poorly cast.
    Indeed, as does the body of the plate which displays obvious signs of casting. These plates were die struck even in the 19th century (industrial revolution etc!) The plate looks a bit on the heavy side to me as well.

There are no signs of the holes to accommodate the brass fixing wire that would hold it to the shako.

That would be correct for a gilt plate as worn by officers which would have lugs on the reverse but this appears to be of simple brass as worn by other ranks (enlisted men).

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thank you both wasn't a lot of money so brought it more out of interest than anything else ,You are right about the casting and the back of the badge doesn't have so much detail