Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help needed to ID This Armband

Article about: I bought this arm band some time ago and for the life of me, can't remember what the seller said it was for. It's 3 1/2" wide by 17" long. Anyone know what the SDO signifies? Senio

?

Default Help needed to ID This Armband

I bought this arm band some time ago and for the life of me, can't remember what the seller said it was for. It's 3 1/2" wide by 17" long. Anyone know what the SDO signifies? Senior Duty Officer? Squadron Duty Officer?

GaryHelp needed to ID This Armband

Staff duty officer.. Usually an nco that is put in charge while in absence of an officer. Like inspecting guard duty personell.. Smaller responsibilities.

Hi, I would suggest that your armlet is British and judging from the colours, red on black, the brass poppers and the style of the lettering, that is for wear by a senior RAF officer, usually in the rank of Squadron Leader whils acting a "Station Duty Officer" or on some units a "Senior Duty Officer"?? Both terms are used. For Warrant and Junior Officers, the armlet bears the initials "OO" (Orderly Officer.
    Regards MR

Hi the armband is Canadian if you check the press studs should be United Carr manufacture some have a stamp on the reverse, i was told Special Duties Officer could be wrong

Fred

?

Quote by Armbandman View Post
    Hi the armband is Canadian if you check the press studs should be United Carr manufacture some have a stamp on the reverse, i was told Special Duties Officer could be wrong

Fred
    Fred,

The armband is an RCAF item and based on the book Canadian Flying Services, Emblems & Insignia 1914-1984 by Bill Hampson, the SDO stands for Senior Duty Officer. The press studs are stamped United Carr as you stated.