Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help needed on identifying trench art insignia

Article about: Hey guys. Im new to the forums and i made a recent purchase of trench art. Its very unique to say the least. As you can see its a thick rope with a bunch of insignia that were made into a ci

?

Question Help needed on identifying trench art insignia

Hey guys. Im new to the forums and i made a recent purchase of trench art. Its very unique to say the least. As you can see its a thick rope with a bunch of insignia that were made into a circle and put on the rope. On one end there is a bullet shell aswell.

My questions are; what were the insignia of? Is it WW1 or WW2? Are they real?

Thank you.

most unusual.

I would say earlier... that cartridge case reminds me of the British conflict with the Zulu

Definitely WWI..."Chasseurs" are French/Belgian Light Infantry...The stylized "W"(for Wilhelm II) appears to be from a Prussian Officer's Shoulder-board or Saber-handle, I'm unable to see the device with the sword...
    Never seen anything like this before...creative!
    cheers, Glenn

?

Very helpfull! I will definatly post more detailed pictures of it. Have never gotten anything prussian from WW1. These insignia might just become the crown jewels of my collection.
    Last edited by Gimmie; 08-12-2014 at 05:20 PM.

?

If i get the piece i will carefully try to slide only the sword insignia off to see if i can get any markings from it.

?

Alright. The bottom of the shell reads

a1 or al
    f
    a

The blast marking of the bottom of the shell, unlike ww2 shells has an oval marking, rather than a round marking

There are 2 badges that are marked with Chasse, for chausseur like Glenn already said.

Theres ofcourse the W thats from the shoulder board or saber handle like Glenn said.

Then theres actually a Dutch badge reading Menno can Coehoorn. Coehoorn is a city and this Menno was a dutch baron who served in the army. His name is still widely used on beret badges over the Dutch army. But instead of the horn going from right to left like the usual badges it goes from left to right. Maybe dating the piece.

Then theres the knife. Its a, looks like, british Fairbairn and Sykes knife but could also be a regulair hunting knife. It reads Nulli Cedo
    Just like the other dutch badge, this logo is also, still being used.

So. Now to date the badges. Wich i lay in the forums hands because i simply dont know how to. The rope looks damn old, its filled with little metal bits. At least i think theyre metal.
    So what do you guys think? Unfortunatly i cannot post photos as my phone isnt charged yet.

Thank you

?

Cartridge is about 4-5 cm long i think

?

it almost looks like the cord they use to light cannons are the little flacks gun powder

?

Rifle bottom might instead of an f have an s4 or sa or 14

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast