Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Hendon Air Station Windsock

Article about: I'd like to post some pictures of my Hendon A.S. Windsock. I'm wondering, because it refers to 'Air Station', whether its from the very early days of Hendon Aerodrome before it came under RA

Default Hendon Air Station Windsock

I'd like to post some pictures of my Hendon A.S. Windsock.

I'm wondering, because it refers to 'Air Station', whether its from the very early days of Hendon Aerodrome before it came under RAF jurisdiction?

Regards

Martin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hendon Air Station Windsock   Hendon Air Station Windsock  

Hendon Air Station Windsock   Hendon Air Station Windsock  

Excellent item. I bet the RAF museum at Hendon would love to get their hands on this evocative piece from "The Cradle of Aviation", as the place was known. It's my understanding that the term "Air Station" was under some circumstances used by the military to cover any of their operating bases at least up until WWII if not later. The Royal Navy/Fleet Air Arm still use that nomenclature for their air bases, going under the title RNAS (Royal Naval Air Station) at bases such as Yeovilton and Culdrose. The 3 bands at the fly end are interesting, I wonder what they signify?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

The three bands have always confused me. The outer band looks very faded and is not a 'white' like the middle band.

I'm wondering where they were flown from and how many. Perhaps only two: one from the Guardroom and one from the Watch Office?

Regards

Martin

great piece of history.