Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Insignia Identification

Article about: Hello, My father was a P-38 pilot stationed at RAF Warmwell in 1944. He was shot down over France on July 6, 1944 but was hidden by the resistance until American units liberated him in Augus

Scott
    ?

Default Insignia Identification

Hello, My father was a P-38 pilot stationed at RAF Warmwell in 1944. He was shot down over France on July 6, 1944 but was hidden by the resistance until American units liberated him in August. Recently I was reviewing his medals and insignia and came across a patch of a boot with a wing. It is not a U.S. Military Insignia. Can anyone identify it in the attachment? Thank you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Insignia Identification  

Default Re: Insignia Identification

Hi Scott, welcome to the forum!

This ties in nicely with what you already said. It is the so called "Order of the Winged Boot". A semi official badge given to aircrew who bailed out over enemy territory and evaded capture and walked back home. Also used by the RAF I think. A very nice little item.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Would you mind posting a picture of the back please.
    Thanks
    Steve

Ade is correct/spot on with the ID.............
    Regards,

Steve.

Scott
    ?

SteveR

Sorry, I had to get the patch back from my sister to scan the back.

Scott
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Insignia Identification  

Well done to your evader Father. Nice item. Along with this badge your Father would normally have the Military Medal or a similar ranked evaders medal, and a nice little Caterpillar badge (if he bailed out , rather than crash landing).

Scott
    ?

tynesideirish,

My father received the Purple Heart but we do have any sort of evader medal or Catepillar badge. I can apply for replacements from the Air Force. Would you have pictures of the above?

Scott

Sorry, I misread the post, thinking he was an RAF man, totally missing the P-38 bit. Obviously as a US Airman, the criteria for evader recognition would have been different. Someone with knowledge of US escapers or evaders would be able to confirm if the US recognised the effort with a gong.
    The caterpillar badge was issued by the Parachute Manufacturer and wasn't just Irvin that produced them but Irvin are the most famous, a google will show more info. (Pointless me just cutting & pasting.)