Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Insignia, real? age?

Article about: Well I got his wen I was about 8 years old. I believe I payed like a buck, also AFTER I bought it the guy said he wasnt sure if it is real. Now 9 years later I wanna know what the heck is it

Default Re: Insignia, real? age?

US Spanish American War period, 1898-1901. This appears to have been painted gold. Should be brass and the solder at the base of the pins and screw on the back should be black or dark gray from age.

Terry

Went back and looked at several that I have. Some have the same appearence as this and some have the solder turned dark some don't. I don't have any doubt that this is a period piece. There are a lot of them floating around the collecting circuit.

Terry

jh92
    ?

Wow thats awesome! Thanks everyone especially Ade and Terry.

Quote by jh92 View Post
    Wow thats awesome! Thanks everyone especially Ade and Terry.
    Attached are pic of a couple cap insignia and one collar insignia from the Spanish American War period. Notice the dark solder on the top one. By the way the one you have is a Cap insignia. Yours may not be gold paint, just the way the picture came out, would have to look at it in hand to tell.

Terry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1898 Inf 3 001.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	77534   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1898 Inf 3 002.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	77535  

jh92
    ?

Neat, well thanks again. I was about to throw it away cause my firends thought it was fake. Unfortunate I belived them. THANKS a lot hawk! Also thanks for your service in Vietnam!

Quote by jh92 View Post
    Neat, well thanks again. I was about to throw it away cause my firends thought it was fake. Unfortunate I belived them. THANKS a lot hawk! Also thanks for your service in Vietnam!
    I have found over the years that there are NO EXPERTS in any particular area, just very knowledgable people. When in doubt throw it out on the forum, I'm sure you will get some good advice. Never throw anything away based on the opinions of a few people until you have researched it in detail. There is not a day that goes by that I don't learn something new in this collecting business.

Terry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12