Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Lakehurst U.S.N.A.S. Hindenburg Armband

Article about: Hi All, Posting this on behalf of a friend, apparently a U.S. Navy Air Station-Lakehurst armband for the ground crew of Hindenburg. As can be see, it's dated 1937, the year of the Hindenburg

Default Lakehurst U.S.N.A.S. Hindenburg Armband

Hi All,

Posting this on behalf of a friend, apparently a U.S. Navy Air Station-Lakehurst armband for the ground crew of Hindenburg. As can be see, it's dated 1937, the year of the Hindenburg fire & crash.
    This is certainly not my area of collecting and have not been able to find another example of this armband. This website below what I was able to find. Attached here is a button shown on the website which appears to be a match to the armband.

Any and all comments appreciated. An obscure piece, but if anyone can manage an opinion on $ value, that would be great as the intention is to sell it.

Thanks,
    Adam

Hindenburg (LZ-129)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lakehurst U.S.N.A.S. Hindenburg Armband  
    Attached Images Attached Images Lakehurst U.S.N.A.S. Hindenburg Armband  Lakehurst U.S.N.A.S. Hindenburg Armband 

Default Re: Lakehurst U.S.N.A.S. Hindenburg Armband

this is a cool item thanks for posting this?
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Yeah, this is a neat couple of items!
    Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

IMO it's a fantasy piece. The lettering is hand printed, while the image of the Hindenburg is an iron-on transfer, as is the image taken from the badge. In fact, the image of the badge pictured (from the Hindenburg site) has moisture damage, which is exactly the same as the light red staining to the image on the armband--so the iron on transfer was copied from that specific badge. The armband doesn't make sense, as it implies the USN ground crews would have a separate armband for each airship that would use the Lakehurst NAS. In addition, if you look at photos of the naval ground crew working with US and German airships, they don't appear to be wearing armbands in any image I've found. And lastly, the soiling to the armband looks intentionally done.
    Erich

kool piece