Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Last operational white ensign HMS/m OSIRIS

Article about: Thought this would be of great interest, I have been lucky enough to purchase the white ensign from the WW2 Odin class submarine HMS/m Osiris (N67). The flag came to me directly from the dau

?

Default Last operational white ensign HMS/m OSIRIS

Thought this would be of great interest, I have been lucky enough to purchase the white ensign from the WW2 Odin class submarine HMS/m Osiris (N67). The flag came to me directly from the daughter of the crew member,that was presented with the flag when the Osiris was payed off in 1945. He had been a member of the crew since 1943.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Last operational white ensign HMS/m OSIRIS   Last operational white ensign HMS/m OSIRIS  

Last operational white ensign HMS/m OSIRIS  

Just to add a little meat on the bones, here's the Wiki link, and others to the subs service history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Osiris_(N67)

HMS Osiris, submarine

HMS Osiris (N 67) of the Royal Navy - British Submarine of the O class - Allied Warships of WWII - uboat.net

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Thanks Ned, I should of added extra info, she was also the first British Sub to fly the Jolly Rodger in WW2 restarting the tradition of WW1. I have some nice photos to add that I was given with the flag including a couple of inside the sub .

?

Also if you zoom in on the picture of the Osiris at the top of the thread , the smaller guy 3rd from the right is the crew member who was given the flag. Flag also seen in pic.

Very nice,indeed! A literal museum piece! What a great pick up!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

My plan is to loan the flag to the Gosport Submarine Museum, which is just a few miles from me. The Osiris was the only one of its class to survive the war.

That's a very nice flag indeed!

?

A really nice picture that came with the flag , description with picture , on bridge of Osiris with German helmet taken from jerry ship in med 1943.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Last operational white ensign HMS/m OSIRIS  

A great item to have. Congrats.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Thanks Jerry, this is definitely my favourite item in the Collection to date. It really was a case of right time right place.