Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Mediterranean Allied Air Forces formation sign

Article about: A flash of the MAAF, or Mediterranean Allied Air Forces, comprehensive of Brazilian Air Force, British Royal Air Force, Free French Air Force, Greek Air Force, Italian Co-Belligerent Air For

Default Mediterranean Allied Air Forces formation sign

A flash of the MAAF, or Mediterranean Allied Air Forces, comprehensive of
    Brazilian Air Force, British Royal Air Force, Free French Air Force, Greek Air Force, Italian Co-Belligerent Air Force, Royal New Zealand Air Force, Polish Air Force, Rhodesian Air Force, Royal Australian Air Force, Royal Canadian Air Force, South African Air Force, United States Army Air Force, and other Allied air forces, active in 1943-1945 on the Mediterranean Theatre of Operations. The sleeve flash was approved on August 10th, 1944, while the MAAF was disbanded in 1945, after the war was over. I was wondering about the pattern of the weaving: I have got the sensation this sign could have been made in the USA, but I don't know much about USAAF patches... thank you for your opinions, gents!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mediterranean Allied Air Forces formation sign   Mediterranean Allied Air Forces formation sign  

It looks fine to me.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    It looks fine to me.
    Thank you Ade! but fine UK, or fine USA?

Looks period USA - 'snow' weave on the reverse.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Hi there

As per Steve standard US Schiffli embroidered WWII era patch , just frayed around the edge.

Just to throw a spanner in the works . The US had English made Schiffli patches as well , they can be very hard to detect to the untrained eye and also get mixed up with US made.

This MAAF SSI is US made though.

Phill

US made.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!