Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Miscellaneous British Insignia's

Article about: Hi to all., I need your help to check if this group of insignias is not fake, and if there are insignias in the group that are rare. I only have these photos that I took in the seller's shop

Default Miscellaneous British Insignia's

Hi to all.,

I need your help to check if this group of insignias is not fake, and if there are insignias in the group that are rare.
    I only have these photos that I took in the seller's shop, so I cant take other or better photos.

First group - front and back:

Second group - front and back:

Brest Regards.,

Von River

Hi Mates.,

I need your help to check this group of insignias...

- Is fake or original items?
    - There are rare insignias in the group?

Regards.,

Von River

MAP
    ?

I can't help but I will say that is a big lot and I'm sure the guys that know will need close up photos.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Very hard to make a worthwhile comment on originality from these pics
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Very hard to make a worthwhile comment on originality from these pics
    Hi VR,

As Jerry says, impossible to give anything like a definitive answer from these pics but the best I would be able to say is;

1. Many of these are not British at all. In fact a large number of them are or purport to be South African. There is at least one Australian badge there. Some are rank badges and some appear to be collar badges though of that I am not certain

2. At least one is definately not military at all (bottom left in pic 1) and a couple of others make me wonder too.

3. Quite a few of the British ones seem to be all brass when they would usually be white metal or bi-metal. This could mean they are WWI economy patterns or re-strikes.

4. From these pics a few are one look "stinkers" that seem to be sand cast (could be theatre made but very contentious anyway) or have very narrow irregular shaped sliders (generally a bad sign suggesting Pakistani / Indian origin) the REME badge 4 from left in group one looks just wrong having a flat back as well .

5. The overall condition of most is poor. Only ultra rare British badges should be entertained in such worn state.

6. Some of the brass seems far too bright. Brass is basically an alloy of copper and zinc in varying proportions and with other elements added according to use. These variations will change the physical properties and appearance of the alloy. An important point is that darker brass (more copper) is stronger and genuine cap badges tend towards the darker shades visually. Brighter brass (more zinc etc) is softer and better suited to easy striking in a less "industrial" environment. Modern brass re-strikes tend to be characteristically brighter shades.

This is about as much as I could say from these pics but unless there is something in this group that you particularly want (I must say I wouldn't) you should perhaps keep walking.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Mark

That is
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Hi mates.,

MAP and Jerry B, thank you for your comments.
    Mark (Watchdog), thank you very much for your comments and explanation, I am very grateful and a big hug for you.
    Since I do not know about these badges, you were all a great help.

Regards.,

Von River

Indeed, as Mark mentioned and it was something I had noted on the Welch regiment badge that it is a cast badge, these are always hard to make a call on, they might be legit, though a lot of cast copies came out of India/Pakistan in the 1970's. I can't see anything to get excited about but maybe some of the none British badges might be rare, but not my area.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.