Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Missing Crown - Border Regiment cap badge

Article about: I have what seems to be a standard KC fullsize Border Regiment cap badge with the crown neatly removed. The badge is otherwise intact with slider and has been worn. I presumed that it was so

Default Missing Crown - Border Regiment cap badge

I have what seems to be a standard KC fullsize Border Regiment cap badge with the crown neatly removed. The badge is otherwise intact with slider and has been worn. I presumed that it was some sort of incomplete "trench art" project, but I have now seen an identical item on ebay ( full size badge, no crown) so I wondered if this was an semi-offical interim measure after the death of George VI before the issue of the Eliz II QC badges? ( Much the same vein as the Victorian hpc was reused by having "The Border Regt" removed to form the 1902 issue forage cap badge.) Can anyone help? Paul B

Default Re: Missing Crown - Border Regiment cap badge

Hi Paul, sorry I don't know the answer to this one. But I am sure others will know?

Here are my Border's cap badges etc:

Cap badges of the Border Regt

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

The only things I have seen or heard of of a similar nature is WWI tankers crowns being removed by the Germans so they could where them, but I doubt that is relevant in this case. Maybe the owner was anti monarchy, as I have a friend who has an Aussie rising sun badge attached to a matchbox holder and if I remember correctly, that has had the crown removed.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

My wife Lez has an ATS cap badge which has had the crown removed: we always took it to be an unfinished trench art project item.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by plbramham View Post
    I have what seems to be a standard KC fullsize Border Regiment cap badge with the crown neatly removed. The badge is otherwise intact with slider and has been worn. I presumed that it was some sort of incomplete "trench art" project, but I have now seen an identical item on ebay ( full size badge, no crown) so I wondered if this was an semi-offical interim measure after the death of George VI before the issue of the Eliz II QC badges? ( Much the same vein as the Victorian hpc was reused by having "The Border Regt" removed to form the 1902 issue forage cap badge.) Can anyone help? Paul B
    I have seen many examples (and i have a few) of 1950s uniforms with mixed KC and QC insignia, so I would say "not likely". I actually have an example from the early 1900s too, with mixed Victoria and Edward VII badges. I don't think it was ever considered necessary to remove the old monarch's insignia the minute they stopped breathing

Rob

Give the museum a call, they might know?

Border Regiment/KOBR Museum.