Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

My Military Finds.....in the bush!

Article about: Hi All Been awhile since I posted anything in here as I have a new hobby of metal detecting. All of these finds have come from the bush on the edge of town. What is surprising is the I live

Default My Military Finds.....in the bush!

Hi All

Been awhile since I posted anything in here as I have a new hobby of metal detecting. All of these finds have come from the bush on the edge of town. What is surprising is the I live in the central goldfields of Victoria, Australia, and there is no record of there ever being a military presence in or around this town. I have several of the Australian Military Forces buttons, both large and small. Thought you guys might find it interesting. Anyone have any idea why the detonator is turned inside out on the 25 pounder?

My Military Finds.....in the bush!My Military Finds.....in the bush!My Military Finds.....in the bush!My Military Finds.....in the bush!My Military Finds.....in the bush!My Military Finds.....in the bush!
    Last edited by jase770; 09-18-2015 at 05:02 AM.

?

The buckle and horn look like Queen Victorian era, so you may be going through two layers of history. There could also be an old Home Guard site or Cadet camp site there. These things will even turn up in old domestic rubbish. I do a bit of detecting myself. Good finds for a gold fields bush area (usually picked clean). Try the 1940's newspapers on the Trove website to see if they shed any clues for your area.

Oz.

Some seriously nice finds there IMO. I really like the Victorian stuff, but for me the crown jewel is the "medically unfit" badge. Never seen one of those before, don't know if they are common or not but I think its great!

As for the 25pdr, my guess would be a half hearted attempt to create trench art until the bloke got bored and chucked it

I tried trove but no luck :-(

I like the medically unfit badge as well. They are hard to come-by and occasionally turn up on eBay but I haven't seen one on there since I found it. Incidentally it was a surface find.....just laying there in the sun as I swung my detector over it. Apparently they were issued over here in WWI to stop harassment by the public who thought that if you weren't in the army fighting, you were a coward.

nice finds.