Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Need help! US Pilot wings real or fake??

Article about: Hi i recently bought these pilot wings and i need help identifying them are they real or fake and also a general price range would be nice. thanks - nick

Default Need help! US Pilot wings real or fake??

Hi i recently bought these pilot wings and i need help identifying them are they real or fake and also a general price range would be nice. thanks - nick

Need help! US Pilot wings real or fake??Need help! US Pilot wings real or fake??

Default Re: Need help! US Pilot wings real or fake??

Hi Nick, these are not WW2 issue. But I think they will be original but fairly modern. No idea on value sorry.

Cheers, Ade.

The World War Two issue had a long pin on a swivel. These are probably Korean War(?) or later.

?

Early WWII US wings were pinback. But clutch back wings were manufactured also from about 1944 on. Many fakes have been made of both pinback and clutch back. The early clutchback fakes were very soft and easy to bend and had no manufacturers mark thet also had a grey colored back.
    There is a book named "Pinks and Greens". I can't remember the author at the moment but it is an execellent reference book for WWII Aircorp items including wings.
    Steve

Thanks for your help! the antique store is 5 minutes (walking) from my home so i just returned them for a production award which was nicer thanks - nick k

The wings are indeed post-war.

Steve, the author of 'Silver Wings, Pinks and Greens'
    is Jon Maguire.........
    Regards,

Steve.