Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

need a little help..

Article about: Hi there guys, A friend of mine on anonther forumsite asked me if i could help him. I've told him i could possibly help him but i need youre help in this case. It goes about a little silver

Default need a little help..

Hi there guys,

A friend of mine on anonther forumsite asked me if i could help him. I've told him i could possibly help him but i need youre help in this case.
    It goes about a little silver box, it's 8.5 cm wide and 6.5 cm high. Sigarettes will fit. It has 4 birds on it (goose?) which sit on the water. There are also some flowers and a sun displayed.
    At the left side bottom is the date 1944-7 carved in. Just next to the date there is the Roman number VIII carved in to the box. This Roman number is carved in between some brackets. At last there are the initials H.A. readable. The Roman number stands probably for the 8th infantry division. They have fought over there.

This silver box was found at the Hurtgenforest.

Hope you guys could help.

cheers,

ps i have added some pictures, i hope they are well enough.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture need a little help..   need a little help..  

Default Re: need a little help..

Nice little peice of trench art. Not sure about the "VIII" being a unit number? It tend to think this could be part of the date inscription?

Cheers, Ade.

It could be a part of the date inscription.
    What about the things drawn on to the box is it something for the Americans
    or would it rather be German. The initials H.A. can't help right?
    Searching for some background information
    Thanks for the help so far.

cheers,

I can only guess, but to me it looks more like an item a German soldier would make and carry.

Cheers, Ade.

You think the vIII indicates the month?
    It's a pitty that there are only those two markings. H.A.
    I thought it would be german and not American. Haven't seen many trenchart from the Americans.

cheers,