Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Parachute regiment beret badges

Article about: I have a few of these, ranging from the early type with a fretted crown and a nickle plated finish through to the modern metal issue. Obviously I could have placed this thread in the airborn

Default Parachute regiment beret badges

I have a few of these, ranging from the early type with a fretted crown and a nickle plated finish through to the modern metal issue. Obviously I could have placed this thread in the airborne section, but as it is about badges I have placed it here.

Wartime/pre 53 beret badges.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Parachute regiment beret badges   Parachute regiment beret badges  

Parachute regiment beret badges   Parachute regiment beret badges  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Post 1953 para regiment beret badges fall into 3 groups, early w/metal versions that are very similar to the wartime types except with a queens crown, these can be found on lugs or on a slider.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Parachute regiment beret badges  
    Regards,

Jerry

Next is the AA (Anodised Aluminium) type which are also known as Staybright badges.

These were used for the longest length of time and there are many variants/makers.

They can be silver or black in colour and can be on lugs or on a slider. Factory black finished badges are not common (of which I have one) and many were hand painted black in the field. Most were maker marked, but not always, with some of them being less common than others, such as those by Smith & Wright or Dowler, whilst Gaunt made badges are fairly common, though as one of the biggest badge makers that is not a surprise. One of the rarest is an AA badge with a metal slider made by Grove manufacturing, which I do not have, yet....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Parachute regiment beret badges   Parachute regiment beret badges  

Regards,

Jerry

Modern issues are made in what is known as modern metal, a much more sturdy material and with a hint of silver in it.

Regards,

Jerry

I have only shown or mentioned examples I own, which has left out such as the WWII plastic economy version, which are quite commonly seen, often distorted and mostly overpriced so I have yet to buy one.

Also officers hallmarked silver badges are to be seen, though note that the wartime versions, dated 42-45 fetch a very high price and again I have yet to get one.

As an addition, here are my para berets -well most of them-, sadly nothing from before the 1950's as wartime examples are very expensive but perhaps one day.

Regards,

Jerry

AIF
    ?

Awesome collection of para badges Jerry! Without a doubt one of the coolest hat badges to come out of the war.

CBH
    ?

Great thread, beautifully photographed and well detailed.
    Thanks for sharing.

Not my thing but a nice group you have there. Thanks for showing these. It is interesting to note that on all sides of WW II, quality of insignia and awards seems to have really declined post war. They really seem to take on the "mass produced" feel.
    Informative and interesting thread!

Not beret badges, but the same design used for the officers collar badges on the service dress tunic.

A miss matched pair, both of which have been converted to pinback, either for ease of use or as as sweetheart badges. I have seen matching pairs with both converted in this way which suggests they were for ease of use as collar badges.

Regards,

Jerry

absolutely top photography my friend! This should be a "How-To" guide..... How many times do we see beautiful pieces (medals, badges, helmets...) thrown against camo cloth (to look "cool" apparently) or vegetation??) - these MAKE one focus on the subject in hand.

'Master class!

oh, and whilst not my field, I'm now educated too.....thank you.

....and I recently picked up 2 RM berets, almost by accident,....it's interesting how many it'd take to take up the same amount of space as just one helmet.....so badges must be a dream to collect/display.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast